Screenshot from Spotted at Carleton U Facebook page

Some Carleton students are in hot water with the administration after commenting on a post on the “Spotted at Carleton U” Facebook page.

The post, made anonymously, was noting the lack of available office hours for the undergraduate academic advisor for students in the communications program at Carleton, which is run by the School of Journalism and Communications.

The communications program is undergoing major changes, going from the Bachelor of Arts in Communications to a Bachelor of Communications program, which many students say is the reason behind them requiring further assistance with the program.

Students who commented and “liked” the post on Facebook received an email from Josh Greenberg, director of the School of Journalism and Communications. In the email, Greenberg said some of the comments allegedly violated the university’s Workplace Harassment Protection Policy (WHPP), which aims to protect employees from bullying both on and off line.

“This situation is being treated seriously,” the letter reads. “The actions of students involved in this incident do not reflect the values of the University or the School of Journalism and Communication. “Students in communication and media studies in particular,” it continues, “should understand and appreciate the impacts of online bullying.”

According to Steven Reid, media relations officer at Carleton, there were 130 students who publically identified themselves on Facebook. Six of those students, whose comments allegedly violated the WHPP, were sent letters and were booked for meetings with Student Affairs.

“The School sent a letter to all students who contributed to this incident to raise awareness about the harmful impacts of online harassment,” said a statement from Carleton. “One reason that cyberbullying may be more harmful than offline bullying is the potential presence of countless, invisible witnesses and/or collaborators, which creates a situation where targets are left unsure of who knows and whom to fear.”

“The school responded only after comments escalated to appoint where they had become personally demeaning and the subject of complaints of some staff and students,” the statement added.

Although the university has not released the names of those who received letters, a few have chosen to publicly identify themselves. Attempts were made to contact these students, but they were not available in time for press. However, students voiced their frustrations with the letters through several other Spotted @ Carleton U posts and comments.