As the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) begins its election season, students and slates should be conscious of being respectful of each other.

While elections give students an opportunity to engage in student politics, it also opens the door for unhealthy competition and tension.

Students and slates will always have different priorities and views on certain issues, but that should not give them the green light to attack one another.

Healthy competition is always welcomed, and it is usually what attracts many students to CUSA elections. However, disrespecting other slates also distracts those running from what’s important—serving the students.

Therefore, the slates should be competing for students’ interest and support, instead of focusing their attention on disrespecting other slates.

If there are any tension or issues between the slates, it will only deter students from voting thus taking away the goal of the elections.

So, as the election approaches, students and slates should focus on what is important and win students over with running on achievable promises they can relate to.

Creating a safe environment with healthy competition will be of benefit for both the student government and the students themselves.