Photo by Julien Gignac.

The Rideau River Residence Association (RRRA) and the Student Philanthropy Council (SPC) are teaming up to raise $3,000 by the end of January 2015 for a multi-purpose space in Residence Commons.

RRRA acquired the classroom-sized space from the Department of University Housing in exchange for the association’s space in Grenville House.

“It is a much bigger space and it’s in a central position compared to the one in Grenville,” said Graham Pedregosa, vice-president (administration).

Yet, the location is not the only thing that differentiates the new space from other hangout spots on campus, such as the Department of Housing-run Raven’s Roost in Stormont residence.

“We knew that Raven’s Roost is kind of out of the way and seeing as how this is right in Residence Commons, we want to make it as accessible as possible and as contemporary as possible,” Pedregosa said.

The new space will include whiteboards, projectors, idea paint, and other useful, interactive study tools, he said.

“Students can use this space to study, get projects done, and this is going to be a great space for them,” Pedregosa said.

Christian Robillard, executive director of the SPC, said it was a perfect opportunity for RRRA and SPC to work together.

“We’re able to get first years involved in philanthropy and fundraising right from the get-go, as well as we’re able to support a residence project,” he said. “The hope is that this will foster more collaboration among residence students and give them that formalized place where they can work together on their various projects with the support of a residence staff when they book it out.”

The two organizations are planning a series of fundraisers and events to meet their goal.

Ryan O’Grady, deputy director of fundraising for the SPC, said the first event will be a balloon pop in Residence Commons this Thursday.

“We’re doing two events before exams, the balloon pop and then we’re hoping to do pictures of Santa as well, that will be next week. Then in January we’re going to have four other events, one every week,” he said.

O’Grady said he is optimistic they will reach the $3,000 goal.

“We have a lot of pretty cool stuff to give away with help from RRRA and we think people will get involved a lot in Residence Commons. That’s why we’re focusing most of our efforts there now,” O’Grady said.

Pedregosa said the new space will be a “really big team effort,” between RRRA and the SPC, adding the project is entirely student-run.

“One of the things we really want to do is build that ownership that this is your student space. A student space is important,” he said. “We’re all working for a common goal to make sure we have this common space.”