Home News Special constables to ride O-Train in 2014

Special constables to ride O-Train in 2014

196
(Photo by Oliver Sachgau)

OC Transpo special constables are scheduled to spend less time in their cars and more time riding the O-Train starting January 2014, chair of Ottawa’s transit commission Diane Deans announced Nov. 20.

The Walk and Ride program will have constables park their vehicles at a station and patrol the station on foot.

This program aims to provide an atmosphere of safety and security to all riders and transit officers of OC Transpo by having special constables be more approachable and ready when needed, according to Gordon Robinson, acting manager of Transit Safety and Enforcement Service.

They are also able to provide immediate first aid service if required.

“These constables promote public safety and awareness, and provide front line law enforcement, customer service and an approachable appearance for customers and employees alike,” Robinson said via email.

OC Transpo said there is no specific reason behind this measure of security, rather it is just a general move to improve the system.

“It’s about visibility out in the system, on buses, for our operators and our staff,” said OC Transpo’s general manager John Manconi according to the Ottawa Citizen. “It’s permanent.”

Starting May 2014, OC Transpo will also be introducing bicycles to the Walk and Ride program, where special constables will be riding their bikes around transit stations, and will be able to pack them aboard buses, according to Robinson.