Photo by Kyle Fazackerley.

Smoke’s Poutinerie will be coming to campus April 13-14 to sell cheesy fries covered in gravy as a pick-me-up for students studying for exams.

David Van Dyk, Aramark’s district manager—the company that provides food services on campus—said Carleton invited Smoke’s because of their student appeal.

“We wanted to do something to give back to students around this stressful time,” he said.

Carleton brought Tim Hortons to campus during the exam period in the fall semester for the same reason. This is the first year the university has invited off-campus food providers to set up during exams.

Van Dyk said these pop-up shops and the Harry Potter-themed residence feast earlier in the school year are moves to introduce “more event-type things” through Dining Services.

Aidan Sindall, the manager of the Dalhousie Street Smoke’s Poutinerie said the pop-up store is also test, or “warm-up days” for the restaurant as they’re in talks to open permanent locations on both Carleton and the University of Ottawa’s campuses. This is the “ultimate goal” he said, with the university-poutine collaborations.

“It’s an opportunity for us to show we mean business,” he said. “After all, students are our core demographic.”

The shawarma shop in the second-floor Unicentre food court will house the poutinerie during the two days. There will be traditional, triple pork, bacon cheeseburger, and veggie poutine sold from 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.