Saint Paul's University Student Association was asked to stop distributing free condoms by the school's administration. (Photo illustration by: Shamit Tushakiran)

Saint Paul University has asked its students’ association to stop distributing condoms in its office, according to a press release from the university and the association.

The Saint Paul University Student Association (SPUSA) had a case of condoms on a desk in their office, which students could access, according to SPUSA secretary Sean Neil-Barron.

The condoms have been available for the last two years, but only recently have issues been raised, Neil-Barron said.

“There were some question raised to administration about this this year, with a few students writing letters to us and the administration about their availability,” he said in an email.

The university then wrote a letter to the association, which asked them to stop distributing the condoms.

“It is evident that the distribution of condoms must cease and the use of the name ‘university’ needs to be completely abandoned from your sign, especially when it contravenes with the [statutes],” the letter read.

Saint Paul has a Catholic mandate, but students from different religions study there, according to the university website.

Neil-Barron said they wrote a letter back to the university, and the issue has given way to a larger question.

“After [the] letter we sent, they agreed that this was a smaller issue compared to the larger issue of what it means to be a Catholic university with [Saint Paul’s] diverse student population,” he said.

The condoms were in the office to fill a need of the student body, Neil-Barron added.

“It is important to provide resources to the student body, and we saw a gap and thus sought to fill it in,” he said.

The university and SPUSA addressed the issue with a joint press release.

“We are looking forward to having these discussions in a context of mutual respect and dialogue. We are both confident we will find a way forward that will respect the diverse interests represented at Saint Paul University,” the release read.

Hannah Carter, a second-year conflict studies student at Saint Paul, said she agreed with the university’s decision.

“I think if the school is Catholic, you should respect that the school is going to do things in a Catholic way,” she said. “That’s their values.”

“Not that I don’t approve of using protection. I think you should be safe,” she added.

Because Saint Paul and the University of Ottawa are complementary institutions, students at Saint Paul still have access to condoms through uOttawa, Carter said.

“It’s not like people can’t go and buy condoms,” she said. “Every single drugstore has condoms.”