Since starting to offer International Student Identity Cards (ISIC) in September, 200 students have picked them up, according to Rideau River Residence Association (RRRA) president Hyder Naqvi.

Last September, the Carleton’s Graduate Students Association and RRRA began handing out ISIC cards, which are designed to make student life more affordable, particularly for international students who already pay higher tuition fees compared to those from Canada.

The cards are also the only accepted form of student ID in certain countries, according to the ISIC card website. While geared towards international students, the cards are not exclusive.

ISIC cards can be picked up by any undergraduate or graduate student. The process is similar to getting a campus card: the student comes in, has their photo taken, fills out an information form and then receives their card, according to Naqvi. There is no charge for the card if you are a full-time student in either an undergraduate or graduate program.

“This is the first time we’ve done this, so we didn’t know what to expect, but I am happy with the turnout so far,” Naqvi said.

International undergraduate students picked up the card in higher numbers than domestic student populations, Naqvi added. He said the cards might have a larger pull towards that demographic, as they are meant more for those who travel.

Similarly, the cards can provide benefits to domestic students for certain savings, Naqvi said.

A list of savings students can access with the card include:

• 25 per cent discount on Greyhound bus tickets
  • 15 per cent discount on Porter Airline or domestic flights when booked with TravelCuts
  • $10 discount at The Body Shop
  • 10 per cent off at Soft Moc
  • $20 off every $100 spent at Sleep Country Canada
  • Discounts at local stores, salons and restaurants
  • Discounts on historic sites in various countries.

– Photo by Angela Tilley