Photo by Zachary Novack.

The Rideau River Residence Association (RRRA) aimed high last year with its campaign promises. The Charlatan spoke with RRRA president Graham Pedregosa to check in on whether the association has kept with their election platform thus far.

Promise: RRRA promised to continue the healthy relationship they have set up with vendors to get cheaper prices at Abstentions.

Yes: The association has been creating bulk deals at Abstentions so students can get more for less.

“We’re really happy that we’ve been able to lower the prices significantly,” Pedregosa said.

He said there are more deals at Abstentions than ever before, from $3 for two Coke products to $6 for two bags of chips and more.

Promise: The residence organization promised to provide accessible and affordable two-ply toilet paper for residence students on a cost recovery basis.

Yes: RRRA has been providing two-ply toilet paper for 25 cents per roll. RRRA does not make money off the toilet paper, Pedregosa said.

“Because we buy so much and so many people buy it from us, Uline gave us free cases of toilet paper. What’s free at at-cost, you give it out for free, so we’ve been giving out free toilet paper as of the beginning of the year,” he said.

Promise: The association promised to implement a move-out service.

Yes: More boxes and carts will be provided this year by RRRA to make the move-out faster and more organized.

“We had budgeted for this year so that there would be more funding, so there would be more carts, and so people weren’t waiting twenty minutes for a cart,” Pedregosa said.

Students will also be able to grab free, recycled boxes from RRRA for moving their belongings out of residence.

Promise: RRRA promised to continue their relationships with their sponsorship vendors for more free swag for students.

Yes: This year RRRA has reached $150,000 in sponsorships, which is more than last year’s $135,000.

The vendors from last year, such as Milano’s Pizza, Bridgehead and Rainbow Cinemas, have offered more money this year because of their ongoing positive relationship with RRRA, according to Pedregosa.

“We’re getting free cases of Coca Cola. We’ve got Vitamin Water giveaways, energy drink giveaways . . . These are all in-kind donations,” he said.

Promise: The association promised to work with CU Dining to break up the dinner hour for a late-night bistro slot so students could swipe four times.

Yes: RRRA has accomplished implementing a fourth meal swipe and also made the meal plan unlimited.

“We wanted to make the dining hall more accessible,” said Pedregosa.

An unlimited meal plan helps students living in traditional suites who don’t have kitchens—they don’t have to worry about meal swipes, or going hungry, or eating dinner out if they come back late from class, he explained.

“It was the most realistic promise,” he added.

Pedregosa also explained the RRRA website has been down due to a domain transfer, and it will be back up within the week.