As you begin a new semester and a new year, one thing you might want to leave behind is clutter. And what better way to get rid of a heap of stuff you don’t need than to tackle the ultimate clutter gatherer itself? That’s right—it’s time to clean your closet.

Getting rid of closet clutter is especially important as we enter the endless months of winter. Organizing your possessions can help make you feel healthier and clutter-free. Here are three simple tips for de-cluttering your closet, and keeping it that way.

Tip #1: Divide and conquer

Speaking from experience, pulling everything out of your closet at once will only lead to lower motivation and less time. Instead, section off the clothes in your closet according to similarity, such as sweaters, pants, and gym clothes. This will make it seem less daunting, and then if the doorbell rings, you can pick up where you left off later.

Tip #2: Ask yourself the following questions

Now that you’ve decided which section of the closet you wish to tackle first, you need to decide what you’re going to do with each item. You have three options: keep it, toss it, or donate it.

If you’re going to keep an item, you must have used it in the past year. If not, you must decide whether to toss or donate it. Other items that are worth keeping are items with sentimental value, or items that required a hefty investment.

Tossing something you bought isn’t the best feeling, but it is worth it in the end when you realize it was only creating unnecessary clutter. If an item is damaged past the point of being fixable, say your goodbyes and toss it!

And if you repurpose a piece of clutter for donation, it feels good to know you’re helping someone out instead of using your things as dust-collectors.

Tip #3: The backwards hanger trick

You probably lied a little bit to yourself in order to keep a shirt you know you won’t ever wear again but want to keep just in case. This is where the backwards hanger trick comes in handy. When putting clothes back into your closet, place the hangers backwards. When you wear something, change the direction of the hanger. After a few months, looking at the hangers which are still facing backwards will tell you which clothes it’s time to get rid of.

Tip #4: Use creative storage solutions

At the end of the day, no matter how savvy you are at employing tips #1-3, it’s more than likely your cramped apartment doesn’t have enough space for the things you need to keep—and we all know it often leads to a clutter disaster. So instead of making tight rows, and cramming things onto shelves, check out IKEA, Staples, Home Hardware, or even garage sales for better ways to store your things. Often, a well-designed shelf, closet organizer, under-the-bed storage bin, or a shoe organizer can do wonders for getting rid of the piles of random stuff you keep on that one unfortunate chair in your room. And if you’re really into DIY, get a shelf you can build yourself.

Cleaning out a closet is always refreshing. It’s kind of like going to the gym—you’ll never regret it afterward.