Photo by Zachary Novack.

With the start of a new semester, The Charlatan checks in with the Graduate Students’ Association (GSA) to see the progress they have made in fulfilling their election promises.

Promise: Expanding funding for graduate conferences and societies.

Yes: GSA president Michael Bueckert said in an email the GSA has created an entirely new grant system all student groups on campus can apply to for funding.

According to the GSA website, under the new system applicant groups are eligible to receive between $50 and $600 per event or program per GSA fiscal year.

The new system provides “significantly larger amounts of funding for both graduate and undergraduate students,” Bueckert said.

Promise: Ensure the full restoration of Kitigànensagm, the GSA community garden.

Yes: The garden was relocated to its current spot near the Nesbitt Biology Building last summer, and was officially re-opened in September 2015.

More raised garden plots and fully accessible garden paths were also included in the designs for the new garden.

“We had an official re-opening ceremony in September, and got to enjoy a full growing season,” Bueckert said.

Promise: The GSA pledged to lobby for affordable and accessible post-secondary education for both domestic and international students.

Ongoing: The GSA continues to push for lower tuition and greater research funding through regular meetings with the university administration, Bueckert said.

“We have also brought these concerns to provincial and federal governments, meeting one-on-one with elected officials to discuss the importance of a post-secondary education system in which all students have access to affordable and quality education,” he added.

This semester, the GSA will continue to oppose further attempts by the Board of Governors to increase tuition by the maximum legal amount, said Bueckert.

Promise: Also on the list of GSA election promises was pushing for an effective standalone sexual assault policy.

Ongoing: The GSA has been pushing the university to introduce a standalone, inclusive sexual assault policy that addresses the needs of students, staff, and faculty, Bueckert said.

Bueckert added the GSA has been successful in lobbying the provincial government to create legislation that makes sexual assault policies mandatory.

“Currently we are participating in Carleton’s consultation process, working alongside a wide range of campus groups, including students and labour unions, to provide substantive input that will ensure that Carleton’s policy is effective and survivor-centric,” Bueckert said.

Promise: Push for graduate-specific mental health services.

Ongoing: The GSA has put together an outreach program highlighting the specific mental health issues graduate students face at Carleton, and continues to push for graduate-specific mental health services, Bueckert said.

He added the GSA has been in discussions with the Faculty of Graduate and Post-Doctorate affairs about working together to provide graduate students with an embedded counsellor program.

Such a program would “provide appropriate and adequate support for graduate students,” Bueckert said.

Promise: Develop a student-run advocacy service where graduate students can seek confidential support for academic issues.

Ongoing: According to Bueckert, the GSA is continuing to research similar services available at other universities so as to best replicate these “important services” at Carleton.

As a result of this ongoing research, this promise remains a work in progress.

Promise: The GSA pledged to extend the hours of their office from five to nine p.m.

No: The GSA was forced to put this promise on hold due to a lack of resources, Bueckert said.

After reaching a settlement in September 2015 with both the university and the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) in the dispute over unpaid University Centre fees, the GSA now has much greater control over the fees collected from graduate students.

“Unfortunately, due to the cost of the legal situation with the university, we do not have the resources we anticipated to be able to implement longer hours,” he said.

Bueckert said following the settlement, the GSA made the decision to prioritize enhanced funding for student societies and events, rather than extended hours.

Despite having to shelve this promise for the time being, Bueckert said the GSA wants to follow through with this promise in the future, “as students face a serious shortage of space for study and meetings on campus.”

Promise: Replace and promote the toys available to students with children in the GSA lounge.

Yes: The GSA bought new toys to make the GSA lounge more child-friendly, Bueckert said.

In addition, Bueckert said the GSA also put up posters throughout the University Centre to bring the toys to the attention of students with children.