Photo Illustration by Ashley Metzger.

The Rideau River Residence Assocation (RRRA) will be selling two-ply toilet paper to residence students starting in the 2015-16 year, according to RRRA president Graham Pedregosa.

The toilet paper plan is a collaboration between RRRA and Carleton’s housing office.

Incoming residence students can purchase the toilet paper from the RRRA office in Residence Commons for 25 cents a roll beginning the second week of September, according to Carleton’s housing director Laura Storey.

Storey said Carleton explored the idea of introducing two-ply toilet paper in the past, but based on concerns with low-flow toilets, they were unable to continue pursuing the idea.

It is not a cost issue, Storey said, as the university already spends about $80,000 on toilet paper annually.

The introduction of two-ply toilet paper has been a promise made by RRRA executives in the past, according to Pedregosa.

He added the introduction of the rolls will be a pilot project at first and supply will determine if the toilet paper will become a permanent addition to residence life.

“Students will be able to buy toilet paper at 25 cents a roll at the RRRA office,” Pedregosa said. “This makes sure that the program stays sustainable throughout the year and that we cut down on toilet paper waste and abuse of the two-ply toilet paper program.”

Pedregosa said the official announcement will be made after Fall Orientation week and once students have settled into residence.

Kaitlyn Bennett, an incoming first-year criminology and criminal justice student who will be staying in residence, said she would prefer purchasing the toilet paper from RRRA rather than make the trek to a nearby grocery store.

She added students are busy and may not have time to purchase it off-campus.

“I don’t think the price will add up too much. I calculated 25 cents times 12, which is how many are usually in a pack and it comes to three dollars,” Bennett said. “It would be convenient and still a good price for toilet paper.”