The 2018 Rideau River Residence Association (RRRA) executive elections are well underway, with less slates running than previous years.

Three slates are seeking election this year: Ignite Change, RRRAving Ravens, and Your Voice. RRRA’s current vice-president (programming) Brittany Galler and vice-president (administration) Jacob Howell are seeking re-election as the presidential candidates on separate slates, Ignite Change and Your Voice respectively.

In a previous Charlatan article, chief electoral officer Kieran Moloney said there were many students who expressed interest in running in the election. But RRRA president Hyder Naqvi, who is not seeking re-election this year, said there are two less slates in the running this year compared to last year’s five.

“It just varies every year. But there is diversity this year, in terms of sex and in terms of cultural and ethnic backgrounds,” Naqvi said.

According to him, a diverse RRRA executive is advantageous for residence students, who come from across Canada and other continents.

“I think it’s important to see a team that people can see themselves in,” he said. “If you have diverse perspectives, you also have new ideas coming in, and newer ways to help students in residence.”

The presidential candidates this year are Galler (Ignite Change), Ahmad Taha (RRRAving Ravens), and Howell (Your Voice). The vice-president (administration) candidates are Ben Jelley (Ignite Change), Kareem AlWazir (RRRAving Ravens), and Sissi De Flaviis (Your Voice). The vice-president (programming) candidates are Douglas Cochrane (Ignite Change), Daisy Kasper (RRRAving Ravens), and Mali Mapani (Your Voice).

Previously, Moloney said the writ of election was dropped before reading week at the end of February, giving interested students enough time to express interest in nomination. In a recent interview with the Charlatan, he encouraged students to get involved in the election.

“All students should engage themselves in this election process so that they can have their voices heard during the voting process. The more students participate, the more democratic the election is,” Moloney said.

The Elections Office hosted an all-slates debate on March 7 in Fenn Lounge at 7 p.m.

“It is a good way for all the candidates get their platform out there and have students hear what each slate is proposing for the new year,” he said.

All three slates share multiple policies, including promising better job opportunities and more events for residence students. They also emphasize increased mental health awareness and support as well as committing to combat sexual violence in residence.

As of March 7, the Elections Office has ruled on seven electoral infractions from slates and campaign volunteers. Violations included a volunteer for Your Voice campaigning outside of the designated area in the tunnels and RRRAving Ravens and Your Voice posters being posted in residence buildings.

On March 6, members of the Your Voice slate were penalized for wearing their campaign badges in the Elections Office and Residence Commons.

Ignite Change also received a violation for failing to use the official election hashtag “RRRAVotes18” in its Facebook posts and a warning for entering the Elections Office after hours using an Abstentions employee’s keys.

Residence students will be able to vote via an online ballot in their Carleton email on March 9.

Photo by Erica Giancola