Tegan and Sara performing at RBC Bluesfest in Ottawa, Canada, on July, 9, 2023. [Photo by Greg Kolz]

Seagulls crowded the cloudy sky as music enthusiasts and east coasters funnelled into LeBreton Flats on July nine for day four of RBC Ottawa Bluesfest.

Maritimes bands East Coast Experience and Youngtree and the Blooms charmed early birds with their unique takes on folk and rock.

By 6:30 p.m., the War Museum’s lobby was packed with fans eager to dance along to the East Coast Experience. As the Barney Danson Theatre quickly reached capacity, over one hundred spectators were turned away from the auditorium.

Equipped with TVs and seating, the museum’s lobby allowed a comfortable streaming alternative to guests. Audience members in and outside the theatre followed East Coast Experience’s cues to raise their beers in celebration of their shared heritage. 

East Coast Experience performing on day four of RBC Ottawa Bluesfest 2023. [Photo by Serena Yang]
Many, however, ventured to the simultaneous performance at the River Stage. Peter Youngtree’s spirited ensemble captivated the growing crowd as the sun set over the Ottawa River.

Youngtree’s hair trailed behind him as he bounced to the harmonica, violin, guitar and drums. One especially thrilled youngster screamed that the “Dirt Party” and “I’m Not That Anymore” folk tracks were “just fantastic!”

Spirits rose even higher as fans of all ages circled the RBC Stage for headliners Tegan and Sara. The Calgary-native twins delivered an enchanting performance featuring songs from their 25 years of music-making.

The queer pop icons’ lively setlist was topped off by lighthearted comedy and personal anecdotes.  

As the stage underwent colourful lighting changes, fans sang and danced to bestsellers “You Wouldn’t Like Me,” “Boyfriend” and “Walking With A Ghost.” Pivotal Grey’s Anatomy tune, “Where Does The Good Go?” had the audience cheering.

Coming to a bittersweet end around 8:30 p.m., fans soaked in every last bit of energy radiating from the RBC Stage. Many families began their treks home, while others prepared for the 9:30 p.m. headliners.

The grassy hill at the River Stage was the hotspot for that interim. Many ventured to the river at sunset, while Ottawa DJ ALAMUSIC spun records on the Accora Village Spin Stage.

During TikTok star Jack Barksdale’s finale, the River Stage was swarmed by those anticipating Canadian superstar Alan Doyle.

Alan Doyle on July 9 at RBC Ottawa Bluesfest. [Photo by Hannah Wanamaker/The Charlatan]
The lead singer of Great Big Sea has spent the past decade writing, acting and pursuing a solo career.

East-coast folk with canned beers and provincial flags excitedly established themselves, chatting amongst equally eager strangers. Miraculously, it began raining as “Have You Ever Seen The Rain” started playing, further hyping up the crowd.

Flowing with charged energy, Doyle ran onstage playing “Come Out With Me,” which met a mass eruption of cheers from the drunken audience.

Doyle’s jives about beer, boats and fishing trips were completed by his fierce fiddler, grooving guitarists, percussionist and accordionist.

After his anthem, “Captain Kidd,” he led the audience in a pause, raising his beer before jumping into the sensational “We’re Gonna Love Tonight.”

Lastly, it wouldn’t be an Alan Doyle concert without a rowdy rendition of “When I’m Up (I Can’t Get Down).” The smash hit came together with an electrifying fiddle solo which amped up the audience and musicians.

Ottawa Bluesfest day four was transfused with an East-Coast knack for partying. The unique artists and exuberant audiences truly embraced the excitement of Canadian music.

Featured image by Greg Kolz.