Fans raise their hands in the crowd at Bluesfest.
Fans raise their hands in the air while watching a performance at Bluesfest on Sunday, July 10, 2022 in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by L. Manuel Baechlin/The Charlatan]

The fourth night of Bluesfest found an exuberant and breezy crowd, much like the weather that day.

The evening kicked off with some well-loved rock and R&B music, performed by Ottawa-local singer-songwriter Sophia Radisch on the RBC Stage.

The sun’s rays weren’t the only thing bringing warmth to the audience: Radisch’s soulful music contributed to their cheery dispositions and accelerated heartbeats.

She sang original songs such as “Angel Dust” and “Enigma,” playing the electric and acoustic guitar throughout her set.

Sophia Radisch performs at Bluesfest. She smiles and makes a peace sign into the air.
Sophia Radisch performs at Bluesfest on Sunday, July 10, 2022 in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by L. Manuel Baechlin/The Charlatan]
“You ignite a fire in my soul,” she said to the crowd, before singing “Ignite.” 

Her wispy singing added a fantastical and almost otherworldly feel to her songs, which was also supplemented by her steampunk gothic look—a fun top hat, black leather pants and fishnet sleeves. This outfit only enhanced the vocal growling she delivered perfectly.

While Radisch gathered a big crowd, the audience thickened even more when American rock band Garbage performed for the mass of music lovers. 

Their reputation clearly preceded them, as audience members started cheering before the band made their way onstage. 

Ironically, lead singer Shirley Manson revealed later in the evening that the band was told not to come to Canada because they were advised their tickets would not sell. 

Manson said it was a miracle they were able to perform at Bluesfest, adding it was only able to happen since they are a frequent opening act for Alanis Morissette.

They played a total 12 songs that succeeded in electrifying the audience, including “I Think I’m Paranoid,” “Stupid Girl” and “Godhead.”

Manson thanked the band’s LGBTQ+ fanbase for their support, before performing “Queer.”

Towards the end of their performance, the band gave the audience what they were waiting for: a performance of their 1995 hit “Only Happy When It Rains.”

Though the band was only a taste of what was to come when Morissette took the stage, Garbage’s electric performance made it feel like dessert was served before the main course.

Dusk settled over the RBC Stage as audiences waited with bated breath for Morisette to take the stage. Fans moved as close to the stage as they could, packed together like sardines to greet the headliner for a hometown show.

Before her appearance, a montage of her musical and acting career played on screen, showing her profound influence on popular culture.

Morissette was accompanied by drums, keyboards and guitars and switched seamlessly between vocals and the harmonica herself. 

She put her heart and soul into her performance as she sang the entirety of her album, Jagged Little Pill, along with some of her other hits.

Morissette was clearly lost in her own music, pacing the stage passionately, throwing her limbs in the air and performing with verve. 

The crowd was drowning in her music right alongside her, singing along to the catchy tunes and having the time of their lives, if only for the night.

Featured image by L. Manuel Baechlin.