Watching A Wrinkle in Time felt different than just watching your average movie. It felt like you were being transported to be part of a bigger movement. Director Ava DuVernay’s adaption (or rather, reinvention) of the classic 1962 children’s novel by Madeleine L’Engle was a heartwarming exploration of the curious child in all of us. With ‘all of us’ in mind, DuVernay created a film with a powerhouse female cast of all different shapes, ages and ethnicities, making sure that the audience could see a little bit of themselves in every quirky character. Even more impressive, DuVernay has become the first woman of colour to direct a movie with a budget of over $100 million, leading the charge on-and-off camera for a diverse, equitable and realistic story about love in all its forms.

A Wrinkle in Time centres around middle schooler Meg Murry, (Storm Reid) and her eccentric, albeit brilliant family. Meg’s life is turned upside-down when, on the four-year anniversary of her scientist father’s mysterious disappearance (played by Chris Pine), her younger brother, Charles Wallace (Deric McCabe) introduces her to three rather intriguing characters. Along with her friend Calvin (Levi Miller) and her brother, Meg embarks on an interdimensional journey through time and space, led by the women known simply as “the Mrs.”

The cast was selected incredibly well, with each ‘Mrs.’ harnessing a wild personality accompanied by even crazier hair and makeup. The iconic women are none other than Mindy Kaling playing Mrs. Who, along with Reese Witherspoon playing Mrs. Whatsit. These hilarious and charming women play off of each other’s humours remarks and sassy body language impeccably. As well, the one and only Oprah Winfrey plays the wise leader and voice of reason of the trio, Mrs. Which. This diverse group of leaders provided a balance to an otherwise tween-centred film, although they left me wanting more. An interesting although potentially restricting aspect of Mrs. Who for instance, is that she speaks almost exclusively in quotes from Lin-Manuel Miranda and Maya Angelou, to name a few. This was disappointing considering Kaling is known for her bubbly persona and comedic timing, something that she was not afforded in this film.

As previously mentioned, Disney spared no expense on this film, rendering the supporting aspects such as hair, makeup, costumes, and sets to be nothing short of sensational. Other than the charismatic cast, these elements are possibly the most impressive for a film with an averagely thrilling plot. With the Mrs’ changing their extraordinarily bizarre ensembles after every teleportation, the audience is completely wowed by their highlighting features from various eye-catching materials that pull us further into the film.

The explicit social themes of diversity and feminism are at the forefront of A Wrinkle in Time. An uplifting story about the resilience of love and belief, it lacks in continuity and leaves several plot holes. However, viewers are still left captivated by a film lead by three Black women—DuVernay, Reid and Winfrey—who challenge audiences perceived notions of power and creativity, leaving us wanting more from all of the enchanting characters. A Wrinkle in Time had moviegoers crying at the empowering messages throughout, and is a notable achievement in character work, costumes and all-around inclusion.