Home Arts Ranked: Top 7 music venues in Ottawa

Ranked: Top 7 music venues in Ottawa

809

As of late, live music has become a bigger part of Ottawa’s culture. This year, Ottawa is set to welcome a stunning line up of world class artists to the city, including Bon Jovi, Foo Fighters, Justin Timberlake and Elton John. Although the biggest shows happen at Bluesfest and the Canadian Tire Centre, there are dozens of other places in the city that serve as great concert venues.

Here are seven must-visit live music venues in Ottawa:

7) LIVE! on Elgin

The upper floor of Dunn’s Famous Deli on Elgin Street is one of Ottawa’s coolest entertainment venues. LIVE! is a nice hub to enjoy music from predominantly small, local artists of all genres. On Tuesdays, the venue welcomes people to join a weekly open mic night. The grungy cabaret vibe makes it a very fitting location for other performances and events, including comedy, improv, the Ottawa Fringe Festival and Magic Mondays.

Although most people who perform at LIVE! are relatively small, the venue hosted a secret Arkells concert ahead of the 2017 Juno Awards.

6) Crazy Horse: Ottawa Stonegrill Restaurant, Steakhouse & Bar

If you’re not a fan of country music, you can skip this one. If you are, then Crazy Horse might be the place for you! It’s a bit of a trek out of town, but if you can get yourself to Kanata Centrum, get ready for wild western party. The cowboy décor is quite fitting for the live country music you can enjoy every Friday and Saturday night.

Occasionally, some big artists might make a special appearance, notably Cold Creek County, Brett Kissel, River Town Saints and Kira Isabella, but those are usually exclusive win-to-get-in events. Also, keep an eye out on Wednesday nights for weekly appearances by Jed the Mechanical Bull.

5) House of Targ

Pinball, perogies, Pac-Man, craft beer and live music—what else could you ask for? Located in a basement in Old Ottawa South and just a quick bus ride from Carleton on the 7, Targ welcomes a wide variety of performers and genres, such as metal, punk, ska and indie. Even if you’re not interested in the music, Targ is still a great place to grab a drink and play some classic arcade games.

4) 27 Club

The 27 Club is located in the heart of the Byward Market in the building that once housed Zaphod Beeblebrox, a venue that served as a filming location for a Rolling Stones music video in 2005. It’s since been renovated and hosts numerous artists, mostly from Canada’s indie scene. Some of the acts to have recently performed there include The Zolas, Blackalicious, Milk & Bone and The Sadies.

In addition to concerts, the 27 Club hosts unique club nights, such as Mod Nite and early 2000s dance parties. Emo Nite has recently become a major hit at the venue. Once a month, emos and punks gather at The 27 Club for a night of singing, dancing and moshing to hits from the early 2000s by bands such as Panic! At The Disco, Paramore and Blink-182. Emo Nite is a must-do nightlife experience you can’t have at any other club in the city.

3) Bronson Centre

Community centre by day, rock concert hall by night. The 850-seat Bronson Centre plays host to some of Ottawa’s best concerts. Although the hallways in the building have the vibe of an old high school (it was originally Immaculata High School from 1928 to 1994), the theatre is a very lively space for music and performances. Billy Talent, Tegan and Sara, Against Me! and The Sheepdogs are among the artists who have headlined the Bronson Centre stage.

Oddly enough, Lady Gaga performed at the Bronson Centre as a part of The Fame Ball Tour in 2009. She has made several appearances in Ottawa since, but is yet to return to a venue smaller than the Canadian Tire Centre (CTC).

2) TD Place Arena

Since reopening in 2014, the arena that has served as the home of the Ottawa 67’s for most of their 50-year history has proved itself to be one of the city’s best places to enjoy a big concert. As an alternative to the CTC in Kanata, artists have flocked to Ottawa’s second largest indoor concert venue, most likely due to its central location. Unlike most arenas, the stage for concerts at TD Place is most often placed at centre ice facing the larger stands. This set up allows everyone in the crowd to feel close to the stage, even if you’re in the nosebleeds.

Recent headliners include Dallas Smith, Twenty One Pilots and Alabama Shakes. The arena was the central venue for the 105th Grey Cup Festival concert series, and is gearing up to host performances by Johnny Reid and Judas Priest.

1) Algonquin Commons Theatre

The state-of-the-art theatre located in the Robert C. Gillett Student Commons at Algonquin College is an amazing place to enjoy live music. No matter where you are, you have a great view of the stage. On top of that, the acoustics are fantastic, which helps boost the overall vibe of the concert experience. The theatre itself is designed to be very flexible. The seats on the mezzanine and orchestra levels are fixed, but the floor seats are removable to make way for a standing section. This space is great, especially for rock, pop and country shows.

The Algonquin Commons Theatre has welcomed big performers from a variety of scenes including Lights, Vance Joy, Jimmy Eat World and Simple Plan. In addition to concerts, the theatre hosts stand-up comedy shows and theatre productions.

Photo by Matthew Czapalay