Prior to moving to takeout only, self-swipe card machines had already been installed at the entrance of the cafeteria to prevent unnecessary contact with dining staff. [Photo by Emmanuella Onyeme.]

Carleton’s residence cafeteria is moving to takeout-only service in accordance with new provincial restrictions against indoor dining.

Residence students will now enter The Caf and be provided takeout containers with their choice of meal, along with wrapped desserts and bottled beverages.

Students will also be provided with disposable cutlery, but are encouraged to use the reusable cutlery provided to them at the beginning of the term.

“While we know these measures are an inconvenience, they are necessary to ensure the safety of our community and to protect the most vulnerable among us,” Carleton’s Dining Services website reads.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford announced Oct. 9 that the Ottawa, Toronto and Peel regions would return to stage two restrictions in response to a record high in daily new COVID-19 cases.

Under the restrictions, indoor services at restaurants, gyms, casinos and cinemas will be prohibited for at least 28 days and re-evaluated “on an ongoing basis,” according to a statement from the premier’s office.

Prior to The Caf’s move to takeout only, self-swipe card machines had already been installed at the entrance of the cafeteria to prevent unnecessary contact with dining staff, although they weren’t in use until the transition to takeout. Hand sanitizing stations were also installed at the entrance and drink dispensers.

Plexiglass had been installed across each table so students could maintain physical distancing protocols while eating with other students.

Plexiglass had been installed across each table so students could maintain physical distancing protocols while eating with other students. [Photo by Emmanuella Onyeme.]
Other precautions taken included placing colour-coded cards at each table, allowing students to notify cafeteria staff of dining areas that need to be sanitized by flipping the cards to the red side when finished eating.

Before the cafeteria transitioned to takeout only, students expressed skepticism over the in-person protocols.

“[The rules are] very easily broken and people can just move their chairs wherever they want,” said Edie Annenkov, a residence student, adding that Dining Services should be more specific with the rules it puts in place.

Dillon Lyle, also a student living in residence, said Dining Services’ attempts at allowing socialization during meals were unnecessary and that students should be fine not sitting with others.

“It’s not that hard to just not have a meal with someone,” he said.

Under the new restrictions, Oasis, the late-night restaurant in Residence Commons, will remain open but with reduced hours. It will no longer be open for takeout during the day.

Dining Services has also opened Rodney’s Kitchen, a food truck next to the now-closed O-Train station, open from 10:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, weather permitting. Rodney’s Kitchen is not covered under meal plans.

Six on-campus students have tested positive for COVID-19 since the beginning of the semester, according to a running tally of the university’s Cases on Campus tracker. As of Oct. 17, there are two active cases.