A road blockade has been set up by organizers from the Ottawa Black Diaspora Coalition in Ottawa, Ont. near an on-ramp to Highway 417 on Monday, Nov. 11, 2021. Organizers are in protest of a proposed police budget increase for the Ottawa Police Service. [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

About two dozen protestors blocked off the on-ramp to Highway 417 Monday night to protest an Ottawa Police Service budget increase of $14 million dollars.

The protestors gathered at the corner of Metcalfe and Isabella Street in Ottawa, Ont. around 5 p.m., parking a van, truck and setting up a tent on the eastbound entrance to Highway 417.

The blockade occurred as dozens of public delegations spoke at an Ottawa Police Services board meeting where the 2022 draft operating and capital budgets were being considered for approval and recommendation to Ottawa City Council.

A protestor stands with his dog inside a cordoned off section of a road blockade set up by organizers from the Ottawa Black Diaspora Coalition in Ottawa, Ont. on Monday, Nov. 11, 2021. Organizers are in protest of a proposed police budget increase for the Ottawa Police Service. [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]
Leila, who did not provide her last name but said she is the co-chair and co-founder of the Ottawa Black Diaspora Coalition (OBDC), said while it wouldn’t be surprising to see the budget approved, “we’re at the point where we’re tired of waiting, and we’re tired of being patient.”

While it isn’t heard every day, Leila said BIPOC communities face violence from the police “every single day, every single week, every single month.”

“We’re going to continue to escalate our actions so that folks can understand that this is serious, it’s urgent, it’s happening, and it should be heard by the city and respected,” she added, referencing the blockade.

The OBDC released a letter to members of the police board last Wednesday, demanding 10 policies:

1. Freeze the Ottawa police budget at 2021 levels.
  2. Create a community inquiry process to end violent dynamic entries, police mental health checks and sexual assaults by police.
  3. Create resources and supports for Black and Indigenous students facing violence in schools.
  4. End the School Resource Officer Program across all Ottawa school boards.
  5. Increase targeted funding for Black and Indigenous-led community projects and organizations.
  6. Targeted policy, funding and education initiatives to put an end to anti-Black and anti-Indigenous violence and neglect in the health care system.
  7. Increase funding for public services directed at Black and Indigenous communities.
  8. Implement an affordable housing plan to provide stable and clean housing for low-income families.
  9. End police involvement in mental health and addictions response.
  10. Reallocate and invest funds into community-led public safety initiatives.

Celine Debassige, an Ottawa resident and Indigenous activist who participated in the blockade, said the city’s activist community has been fighting for the same changes year after year, but there hasn’t been “any progress for the betterment of the community.”

“[The budget increase] could go to so much better by investing in community care, rather than, you know, the community’s oppression,” Debassige said.

If the police board decides to increase the budget, Debassige said there will be continuous action “again and again until our voices are heard.”

Around 9 p.m., the police board decided to recess until Tuesday at 3 p.m. If the draft budget is approved, it will be considered by City Council on Dec. 8.

Featured image by Spencer Colby.