Students are shocked and angry about the defacement of a mural painted by the Palestinian Students’ Association (PSA) in Carleton’s tunnels near Mackenzie Building.

The mural, originally painted in April 2013, was defaced in several ways. A skull with “ISIS” written below it has been drawn in permanent marker on the painted Dome of the Rock, an Islamic Shrine.

Arabic writing under the mural reads “The Quds—Jerusalem—is ours . . . And your sister is ours.” Two Stars of David, a Jewish symbol, are drawn on either side of the writing.

PSA president Raghad Issa said she is shocked and angry, adding she believes the graffiti is hate-motivated.

“It was definitely racist and anti-religious, as they mentioned ISIS and completely plastered it to our religious and prestigious icon not just for Palestinians but also for Muslims around the world,” she said.

Issa said her anger is mixed with fear because she is unsure if another more uncivilized attack could occur.

Mark Hargreaves, Campus Safety’s community liaison officer, said Safety began investigating the graffiti when it was brought to their attention Jan. 6.

“Mischief on campus, graffiti and such, unfortunately isn’t uncommon,” he said. “In this case, it’s important to determine if it is hate-motivated or not. I can’t comment to say that it is hate-motivated based on the writing on the wall specifically by itself, although that would be something that we would be keeping in mind during our investigation.”

Hargreaves said Safety is gathering all evidence available, including CCTV footage if it captured the area.

If they can determine a perpetrator, there are two avenues that can be followed. One is to go through Student Affairs and the Student’s Rights and Responsibilities Policy. The other is to proceed with criminal charges.

Issa said there are students on stand-by ready to paint a new mural.