Welcome to the wonderful world of wild college nights and wicked morning hangovers. That’s right — it’s the Ottawa bar and club scene. A magical world where clicking your heels three times won’t get you home, but dialing #TAXI will.

A place where there is a bar to fit everyone’s style, taste, needs and wants in one night. What are you in the mood for tonight?

True Canadian Spirit

Feeling a little bit country on a Thursday night? The Great Canadian Cabin is your destination for some renowned country themed fun, says Kevin Sourapha, a former Cabin employee. Or maybe you just want to get some cheap drinks on a Tuesday night — for $3 vodka shots and ping pong, you can’t go wrong.

You say you don’t have class Thursday morning? What better way to celebrate than visiting Pier 21 for their ‘Lower Deck Wednesdays’ for their live band and special student deal night. Bartender Rachel Magyar will be on deck, serving you some East Coast hospitality with drinks all night at $3 bar rail, $3.50 drop shots and $4.50 pints. “Students should choose to come out to Pier 21 simply because it caters to the interests and expectations any university student has after a long stressful week in the classroom,” Magyar says.

Still feeling overworked? Why not head out to Lunenburg to enjoy all the blessings of a pub-club. Thursdays is $3 jagerbombs and $10 rum pitchers — that’s right, a whole pitcher of mix drink rum all to yourself. “It’s not going to be a bar, it’s going to be a place you go for crazy college fun,” says Adam Maier-Clayton, a bartender at Lunenburg.

Fist-Pumping Fun

Have you ever seen someone do a backflip off a bar? Me neither — but the 1 a.m. bar show at Liquor Store Party Bar is something everyone must see. To the soothing sounds of “Pour Some Sugar On Me,” all the ladies are invited to get up and dance on the bar. Just attached to Liquor Store is Industry Room, another busy bar. “Pay one price for two different bars, two different DJs and two different scenes,” says manager Justin Murray. “They are the largest bars in Ottawa and feature incredible drink deals along with the rowdiest bar staff in the market.”

Animal print pants are out of control at Tequila Jacks — and so are the staff. “They’re the greatest in town and good looking to boot,” says Richard Steinhardt, a frequent bar-goer. “The manager, Brett Starke, comes up with the funniest weekly themes,” he says. “Who doesn’t love a ‘Fuck Meteors’ party?”

Pride-Friendly

Just beyond the rainbow spiral staircase is the Lookout Bar.  “The bar staff are very friendly and have variety nights every week,” says Ashraf Khan, a local bar-goer. Kelly Brant, the owner of The Lookout has been in business for fifteen years and says it is a place in the community where many people can feel at home. “It is a place you can run into familiar faces,” she says. “We have a diverse clientele and everyone compliments on our music mix of live DJs.” Check out their famous Thirsty Boy Thursdays and Friday Ladies Nights.

It’s a Wednesday night, and you need to let off some mid-week steam, why not head to Mercury Lounge for the Hump Night Drag show? Every Wednesday night the door cover is only $4 for a live DJ and, of course, some Drag Queen fun.

The Luck of the Irish

Looking for a wee-bit-o Irish fun? Look no further than Heart and Crown, says Jeff Davis, manager. And if you think otherwise, he would ask you, “What other bar in Ottawa offers three live bands in one bar in one night?” He recommends students come out for Fridays and Saturdays to enjoy the live beats and fun drinks for only $5 cover.

If you are looking for more double decker fun, check out Patty Boland’s just down the street. They also host live music nights from Thursday till Saturday — and you can enjoy it all while taking in the friendly Irish atmosphere.

Hipster Haven

Aside from a bunch of concerts, shows and events each month, Zaphod Beeblebrox hosts no cover Tuesday and Wednesday theme nights, and live bands Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The atmosphere is comfortable and keep your eyes on the TV’s around the bar — they often play old cult classic films.

If you don’t feel like the fast-paced style of Byward Market tonight, you can always catch a quick bus or cab to Babylon on Bank Street. This alternative club hosts live music and DJ sets weekly. Sunday is no cover and a live DJ show — it’s a win-win for students. There is also the fun and excitement of Shameless Fridays at the end of every month.

Annie Chinneck, a fourth-year Carleton student says she looks forward to Shameless Fridays every month. “It’s a great excuse to rally my best friends, rock an outrageous outfit and whip my hair back and forth. A time to get shameless as shit.”

The Older Crowd

Think you’re too old to head out to the bar? Why not pound back some good old Jack Daniel’s while enjoying the fireplace in a comfy leather couch at Whiskey Bar? The bar says they are geared towards ages 20-30, which means you can avoid the younger crowd. The retro 80s and 90s music will take you back in time and remind you of the good ol’ days.

Ever heard of a Restaurantainment? It’s called Honest Lawyer and it is the perfect 21+ bar for young adults looking to have some fun, play around on some arcade games and maybe enjoy a tower of beer! During the day you can enjoy a good meal, some fun times — and at night you will be privileged to a dance floor and hopping bar.

Why go out?

Oliver’s pub and patio is right on Carleton campus and has one of the craziest Thirsty Thursdays for students. $3 cover gets you into the bar to enjoy fresh DJ tunes, dancing and downtime in between on the couches. You never know who you will bump into.

No matter what your mood or pleasure, Ottawa’s night scene can offer up what you are looking for on a silver platter.

“It’s all here — we’re just waiting on their arrival,” Mayer-Clayton says.