If you’re in need of academic first aid, Carleton University’s Student Academic Success Centre (SASC) is the place to go. The centre offers services that help students deal with academic challenges that happen throughout the year.  Although any Carleton student is welcome to use these services, they are especially useful for first-year students who are newly adjusting to the demands of university life.

SASC operates the Advising Centre (located in 302 Tory Building), which is where you can meet with an advisor to discuss your academic related needs and interests. Some topics you may bring up with an advisor include: learning to understand your audit; changing or adding degree elements (such as your major, minor, or specialization); the university rules and regulations for students; and how to get back on track if you would like your grades to improve.

The Writing Tutorial Service (WTS) is a great resource if you have a paper due. Here a graduate student will provide guidance and expertise in terms of how to write a good paper. They will review what you have worked on to date, and then give you feedback as to how you can improve.

Learning Support Services (LSS), part of the SASC, offers workshops students can attend on various study skills. Some topics include Managing School and Work, Note-taking, and Improving Memory and Concentration. In addition to the workshops, students can also arrange to meet with a learning skills specialist who will provide personalized feedback on how you might want to further improve your study skills.

LSS also has a program called Peer-Assisted Study Sessions (PASS), available as a study resource for select courses. If you are taking a PASS-supported course (to see if your course is listed, check online), you are invited to attend weekly study sessions, run by an facilitator, where you can review your lecture notes and readings with fellow students.

“The services SASC offers can help bridge the gap between high school and university” says Margaret Higgs, a Learning Support Services Coordinator.

There are also group study rooms available in the library that students can book online via Carleton Central, under the ‘My Success’ category.

For international students who would like to improve their English conversation skills, LSS offers conversation groups where students can connect and help each other polish their oral language skills.