Home Opinion Opinion: Want a fun summer? Don’t forget there’s a pandemic

Opinion: Want a fun summer? Don’t forget there’s a pandemic

244
A man fishes along the Rideau River in Gatineau River in Wakefield Quebec in the summer months of 2020 [Photo By: Spencer Colby / The Charlatan Newspaper]

After months in and out of lockdowns, summer is looking like the glimmer of hope we Ontarians have been waiting for. However, whether COVID-19 will pose less of a risk compared to last year has yet to be determined—and this caution should advise young people in how we navigate yet another pandemic summer.

The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluations estimates that cases in Canada will go down come the summer months. While this may seem like good news, the volatility of COVID-19 has taught us that case number predictions aren’t always accurate. And given the recent third wave that hit Ontario, a surge in summer cases is very possible

Combined with a new variant and COVID fatigue hitting youth particularly hard after a year of missed opportunities and hours on Zoom,  many might find themselves wondering if breaking pandemic protocol is justifiable in order to have a bit of extra fun this summer.

An epidemiology update from the federal government showed that people between the ages of 20 and 29 continue to make up the highest number of COVID-19 cases of any age demographic in the country. 

Most likely, the summer will make this worse. If young people are the largest COVID-19 spreaders during school months, then it is likely the virus will only spread further with the additional spare time most students have in the summer. Additionally, since most of us won’t be fully vaccinated until July or August, we’ll barely be any more immune to contracting and spreading the virus than we were last year.

Like many others, I also cannot wait for the warm weather to come and I’m looking forward to having as much fun as possible under the circumstances. However, I’m worried many young people will not be considering the circumstances, and this summer will be plagued with a cycle of lockdowns if pandemic protocols are simply tossed to the side.

Look at the recent change in Ottawa’s restrictions: pandemic limitations were loosened after a month’s worth of lockdown early this year. Only a few weeks after Ottawa transitioned to an orange zone, the city was classified a red zone after Ontario reported 1,553 new cases

Each and every time restrictions loosen up, I see people my age going about their business as if they think they can do whatever they want again. Everyone gets excited and forgets we’re still in a pandemic, regardless of what colour the province deems a given city. 

Personally, this constant in and out of lockdowns is not what I want my summer to be. With May right around the corner, just think about all of the people trying to get out of the house and do something fun with all the proper precautions in place: going to the beach with those in your household, sitting on a physically-distanced patio, and so on. 

However, because a group of students might decide to host a few indoor parties with no mask-wearing or physical distancing, resulting in an outbreak, an entire city could be further restricted. Those just trying to enjoy themselves while also doing their part and staying safe wouldn’t be shafted by the selfishness of others. 

Of course, we shouldn’t live in fear—the first lockdown of March 2020 taught us the consequences of that. But we shouldn’t stop ourselves from having any fun this summer, either. Go see your friends, go out to a patio—but do so safely.