A person walks out of University Center. Campus has remained closed to non-essential staff members and select persons [Photo By: Spencer Colby/Charlatan Newspaper]

As we approach the end of the 2021 winter term, many of us have begun to wonder what the coming fall term will look like. According to Carleton University president Benoit-Antoine Bacon, the most likely option is a hybrid between online and in-person classes, with hopes for “a significant return to campus.” 

COVID-19 has been nothing but unpredictable. Thus, whether the university’s current plans for a hybrid return with emphasis on mostly in-person instruction will be possible come fall is tentative. Regardless, the three possibilities for the 2021-22 academic year—continuing classes online, returning to in-person classes or returning with a hybrid system—all have their positives and negatives. Combined with thorough concerns for safety, a sense of optimism should guide students’ attempts to cope with whatever the university plans.

In the midst of online learning, students have experienced significant difficulties. Virtual instruction has resulted in an inconsistent schedule for many students, leading to issues related to discipline and motivation

However, a schedule consisting entirely of in-person classes amid the pandemic isn’t justifiable, either. Safety restrictions, particularly as COVID-19 has yet to let up in Ottawa, are still necessary. Distancing would be particularly difficult in larger classes and shared university spaces, and reopening all of the school’s services, such as food courts, could put students and campus workers at risk. 

Caption: This year has forced educators to more profoundly study the pros and cons of online education. Here’s just a few of them, courtesy of the University of Illinois Springfield. [Infographic By: Pascale Malenfant]
Still, the added flexibility that comes with asynchronous learning, like the ability to rewatch and pause lectures, has been instrumental for many students’ learning amid the anxiety and distractions of the pandemic. Learning online has also allowed students to attend class from the safety of their own homes—arguably one of the most important things to consider when deciding whether classes should be online or in person.

Despite these benefits, online learning lacks the personal connection and sense of community created by in-person learning. In-person classes would allow students and instructors to feel the sense of normalcy that would help students regain some of the motivation they may have lost. 

Given the pros and cons of all the possibilities, Carleton will likely shift to a hybrid learning environment, with emphasis on bringing as many classes back to campus as possible. This means the university will likely approve a plan that will see larger courses remain online and smaller classes such as  labs and tutorials starting back up in person. 

This option raises some questions as to what this would mean for students and staff who may not be ready to return to campus Bacon has emphasized the importance of providing flexibility for all members of the Carleton community, particularly by accommodating those who wish to continue learning or teaching online. 

Evidently, concerns for safety should always be considered first by staff and students when deciding regarding whether or not to accept the university’s plans for the upcoming academic year. Should the school make a decision that is unfair and unaccommodating of either staff or students, both should be able to openly voice their concerns. 

However, it goes without saying that we all want to return to some sense of normalcy come fall 2021. Otherwise, many may find continuing their education or academic career amid COVID-19 simply not worth the trouble. 

While we all watch for updates from the university, remember that a return to campus is inevitable, and that the whole of the Carleton community is doing its best to provide a safe and educational university experience.

Featured image by Spencer Colby.