Barricades were set up in front of the U.S. Embassy, showing a chasm between protestors and law enforcement. [Photo by Tim Austen]

Though they may make up a small number compared to the amount of eligible voters in the U.S., American citizens living in Canada and abroad should exercise their right to vote. 

The U.S. presidential election, arguably the most politically consequential event of the year, is less than two months away. 

The candidates’ campaigns traditionally kick into high gear after the Labour Day weekend. Every voter demographic—whether defined on the basis of race, gender, religion, education level or region—is intensely sought after by interest groups across the political spectrum. 

However, one voter bloc that is often missing from the political discourse is the nine million Americans who are estimated to be living outside the U.S. Within this group, there are around three million eligible voters, according to the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP)—the largest number of which reside in Canada, numbering over 500,000

The average turnout rate among Americans living abroad is just under five per cent, according to the FVAP. The other 95 per cent, who still have to file American taxes, regardless of where they live, effectively have no representation in a government that is collecting taxes from them. 

However, regardless of their concern about ‘taxation without representation,’ Americans living abroad should still care about the outcome of a presidential election. It is these citizens’ duty to ensure they submit their ballots in November 2020.

Due to globalization, many of the decisions made by the U.S. government have ramifications that are felt by billions of people around the world. As commander-in-chief of the largest economic and military power in the world, the U.S. president has immense influence on shaping consequential international policies. 

This has been particularly evident during these past few months. In addition to the global climate crisis, the combination of a global pandemic and the global economic shutdown that ensued have highlighted the need for an effective and coordinated global response. With the country’s critical role in the international community, the U.S. will inevitably have a leading part to play in tackling these challenges. 

To put it bluntly, American foreign policy over the next four years can either exacerbate the global problems we face today or it will aid in finding the solutions to these problems by playing a leading role in the international community.

If that is not a convincing enough reason for Americans living abroad to get involved in the upcoming election, here’s another reason why. As a result of the electoral college, presidential elections can be won by as few as 80,000 votes from three states. This means the three million eligible voters that reside outside the U.S. have the potential to sway election outcomes. 

The U.S. is a deeply polarized country. Candidates present vastly different ideas about what the country needs, what core values and principles define America, and what the role of America on the world stage should be. For this reason, there has never been a time when the voices of those living abroad have been as necessary. 

To the 500,000 eligible voters that reside in Canada: even if you have no plans of returning to the U.S. anytime soon, you know better than most—as residents of a country that has the closest economic and military alliance to the U.S.—just how important the role of an American president is on the world stage. 

It is critical you exercise your right and privilege to help shape the outcome of an election that will effectively determine the next leader of the free world. This November, please make sure your voice is heard.

Featured image by Tim Austen.