Photo by Nicholas Galipeau.

Fall break should be a time of rest for students. Unfortunately, as many of us have experienced, it usually doesn’t end up that way. Work is often piled on before, during, and after the week, leaving students feeling overwhelmed.

The break was established specifically to preserve students’ mental health and overall well-being. It was meant to be a catch-up period for everyone (professors included).

In 2012, about 70 per cent of students voted in favour of having a fall break. Shortly after the student vote, Carleton’s senate voted 28 to 11 in favour of testing the idea.

After the two-year testing period, 85 per cent of students said they wanted the fall break to continue. Students made it clear they want time off.

In 2014, the Senate voted in favour of making fall break a permanent part of the academic year. This decision followed recommendations made in a report by the Senate Committee on Curriculum, Admission and Studies Policy. Donald Russell, chair of the committee, said the week was named “fall break” because it was intended to be a break from class activities.

There is no point in having fall break if students can’t use it. I suggest we rename “fall break” “mental health week” to make the purpose of the break clearer. Having a break from class activities should mean no assignments are due during that time.

Last year I took part in a volunteer program during winter break. I was gone the entire nine days. Unfortunately I had a midterm at 8:30 a.m. on Monday, eight hours after my plane landed. Having a midterm the day after the break’s end goes against its intention.

This year I had an assignment due during fall break and two assignments due the day after fall break ended.

In university, the workload will be the same whether there is break time or not. It is up to the profs how they want to arrange tests, midterms, and assignments during the semester.

Fall break shouldn’t just be a week without class. Students should have a choice about whether or not they want to do homework. They should be able to spend time with their family, lounge on a beach somewhere, or stay at home and relax. Having assignments due during and right after the break can leave students with few options.

Students also book trips home during the fall break without knowing if their profs will make them work during this time. There isn’t much to look forward to if you’re travelling home and know you’ll be stuck at a desk the entire week.

If students had extra time to do things they enjoy during reading week, they would come back better equipped to give their all for the remaining month and a half. Instead, students are stuck stressing just as much (or even more) during reading week as any regular school week.

Profs should have midterms and assignments due before the break or later in November. This would allow students to use the break time for the benefit of their own mental health.

It would also make more sense if midterms were held prior to the break because there are more classes held before the break than after. Not to mention the quickly approaching December exams students will be preparing for.

If nothing else works, a few extra days added to the beginning and end of the year are worth it if students will be in a healthier mental state during the school year.

If professors aren’t willing to make accommodations and allow students to have that time off, then there is no point.

I fully support the idea of having a break period. But if reading week isn’t a rest time for students, we shouldn’t have one at all.