When 18-year-old University of Ottawa (U of O) student Mélodie Morin reported her sexual assault to the Ottawa police, the detective handling her case closed the investigation because the incident was found to be a misunderstanding, Morin told the Ottawa Citizen.

The Ottawa Police Service later issued a statement that said the investigation remained open.

Morin has since dropped out of the music program at U of O because of stress and depression, and said she has experienced flashbacks, night terrors, and insomnia related to the incident.

The incident comes on the heels of a study released by U of O stating the Ottawa police often treat women who report sexual assault poorly. A media release from the university said the study found women who report sexual assault are often “blamed and demeaned,” and accused of fabricating the incidents when charges were not laid by police.

The Ottawa police should review this study closely and update their protocols and policies for responding to complaints of violence and harassment against women. The way police deal with some women who report sexual assault is unacceptable. All women should be treated with respect and compassion when they file complaints of this nature.

All police forces should prioritize respectful and compassionate treatment of women who report sexual assault.