The Carleton Ravens women’s hockey team lost a close match to their crosstown rivals—the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees—falling 4-3 at the Carleton Ice House.

Heading in, the two teams were at opposite ends of the standings in the Réseau du sport étudiant du Québec (RSEQ) Division, despite their close records. Ottawa had a record of 3-2-0, which put them in first, and Carleton found themselves at the bottom with a 1-3 record.

“I think we just need to play hard defensively before we can work on our offence in order to get the puck out. But I think just man-to-man coverage and winning our one-on-one battles was key,” said Carleton forward Kaylie Welk.

The game began to pick up 12 minutes in as Gee-Gees defencewoman Violaine Houle fanned on a shot from the point, which Ravens captain Tawnya Guindon picked up for a breakaway. Ottawa goalie Sarah-Maude Labrecque made the initial save, but Carleton kept the pressure and Guindon managed to score, putting the Ravens up 1-0.

A few minutes later, Gee-Gees defencewoman Melina Roy found forward Shanie Deschatelets open, who put a backhand past Ravens goalie Katelyn Steele. Gee-Gees forwards Carol-Ann Upshall and Melodie Bouchard connected late to put the Gee-Gees ahead 2-1.

“I think we passed the puck pretty well around and we were ready to score,” said Gee-Gees coach Yannik Evola.

Carleton began the second period with pressure. Four minutes in, Houle took a shot that lead to a Ravens two on one that they were unable to capitalize on.

At around the five minute mark Ottawa took two penalties, which gave Carleton a five-on-three advantage. The Ravens managed to score, with Becky Davidson scoring the tying mark. The Gee-Gees responded at around the 12 minute mark, as Upshall took a cross-crease pass and scored, to give Ottawa the 3-2 lead.

Welk said practicing quality shots was what helped the Ravens stay with the Gee-Gees all game.

“Starting with actually shooting to score and not just shoot randomly, and working on crashing the net a lot more. Getting more traffic in front and taking opportunity of traffic in front,” Welk said.

To start the third period, Carleton pressed hard for the tying goal. They were stopped short as two penalties gave the Gee-Gees a long five-on-three powerplay. Carleton was able to kill this off, but shortly after Ottawa had a two-on-one rush where Gee-Gees forward Roxanne Rioux scored top shelf to put the Gee-Gees up by two. The game looked to be in the Gee-Gees’ favour, until Ottawa took two late penalties.

With the goalie pulled, Carleton had a six-on-three advantage. Davidson scored off a scramble, but this would not be enough as Ottawa held on for the 4-3 victory.

“The game plan at the end was to be very tight defensively in front of our net. Not to go put pressure at the blueline but to stay really tight and try to give them some shots from the outside,” Evola said.

The Ravens are now 1-4, with their next game on Nov. 13 versus the McGill Redmen at the Carleton Ice House.