(Photo by Arjun Birdi)

Just over two years ago, I submitted my first opinion piece to the Charlatan. It decried the manifestations of misogyny, rape culture, and violence against women that have proliferated at Carleton.

It was precipitated by a series of events, which included Justin Campbell—then, the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) councillor, and now, a candidate for city council in Osgoode ward—suggesting that a woman of colour, a then-CUSA executive, should be locked in the trunk of a car.

Two years later, and at the University of Ottawa, comes the revelation that five students, all men, including four elected representatives, believe it is appropriate to suggest sexually assaulting the president of the Student Federation of the University of Ottawa (SFUO), Anne-Marie Roy.

One of these students is Pat Marquis, the vice-president (social), who works just a few offices down from Roy. He suggests rewarding sexual assault by buying the potential assailant a “24 of beer.”  It is an unconditional inducement of sexual assault, and confirms that rape culture remains a powerful discourse on our campuses.

These students do not exist in isolation, nor do the violent and oppressive cultures and discourses they promulgate.

At Carleton this election season, Rideau River Residence Association election posters were defaced with homophobic and racist slurs. A year and a half ago, I was attacked through a series of homophobic image macros—including one suggesting I be sexually assaulted.

In every case so far, there have been no serious consequences.

More problematic still is that the initial response is typically dismissive and aggressive. Campbell threatened legal action against Dan Sawyer, the CUPE 4600 staff member who revealed his statements. Four of the men threatened legal action against Roy for allegedly invading their privacy.

Even when an apology comes—and it only ever comes after intense outcry and scrutiny—it is half-hearted, does little justice, proves that no learning has occurred, and ignores the reality that these are systemic cultures and discourses, not isolated incidents.

It is irresponsible and unconscionable to bury our collective heads in the sand and ignore these situations. Worse, it is appalling to suggest these types of statements be allowed as part of a perverse experiment in free speech.

There was a massive chorus of collective disgust when the orientation week chants condoning rape were publicized at Saint Mary’s University in Nova Scotia and the University of British Columbia.

There were official investigations involving university administrators, students, and public figures. The media published a multitude of stories, opinion pieces, and editorials denouncing the chants.

We were told these problems would be solved, that new initiatives aimed at educating and dismantling cultures of oppression and violence would ensure that students could attend their classes safely—even as our own student union, in the interests of what they deem “A Better Carleton,” dismantled the Discrimination on Campus Policy and prevented equity campaigns being run with their support.

Despite the best of intentions, we were deceived. CUSA has not even held a meeting of the equity committee this academic year, as it now only has an ad hoc status. The chair for that committee has yet to be elected.

If the people who are supposed to be our leaders are failing to challenge oppression and violence, and are instead complicit (as some are at the University of Ottawa) in them, then it is our responsibility to shut down these cultures and discourses ourselves.

We need to move beyond simply demanding resignations and apologies, but should instead make our campuses uncomfortable—even unsafe—spaces for bigotry and oppression. We need to accept that every time we laugh at an offensive joke, dismiss an offensive comment, or even continue to engage socially with bigots, we are committing an act of violence. Showing solidarity with Roy, and with all survivors of these types of violence, is a moral imperative.