As Oct. 17 quickly approaches, to do debates over whether the Canadian government legalizing marijuana will be a successful endeavour. There is little doubt that the legalization of recreational marijuana will have a positive impact on Canada’s economy, but I feel as though the Ontario government’s judgment has been clouded by the potential for an economic boost.

The government’s shortsightedness became increasingly apparent last Tuesday, with the announcement of loosened restrictions at the provincial level. The provincial government’s announcement declared that the smoking of recreational pot will be allowed wherever cigarette smoking is permitted. This announcement came not only with its fair share of critics, but also increasing anxiety among those, like me, who do not believe that this decision has been fully thought out. The main concern with this announcement are the effects of secondhand high and the effects of potential toxins in marijuana smoke to the public. To some, the likelihood of a secondhand high may be a stretch—and even if it were a possibility, some may argue, what is the harm in it?

Research has shown that “contact high” is indeed a possibility. In a 2016 study conducted by the U.S. National Library of Medicine, rats were exposed to secondhand marijuana smoke. It was determined that several blood vessels were adversely affected, and that these effects lasted significantly longer than the effects of tobacco smoke. The study also demonstrated that after just one minute of exposure, even when the THC levels were removed completely, these effects were still present.

With the results of this study alone, questions arise about whether we would want children exposed to the possibility of a secondhand high. Although the potential effects of secondhand high have not yet been tested on children with the known levels of toxins and tar present in marijuana smoke, isn’t it better to be safe than sorry?

Apart from the possibility of secondhand high, there are other major concerns that come with the legalization of marijuana. These include the issue of driving while high. Many people reject the comparison between marijuana and alcohol, but since you cannot get high off of smoking tobacco, this comparison is imperative. For several decades, driving under the influence has become a significant issue with worldwide concerns and action taken to prevent accidents caused while driving under the influence. I cannot help but feel that the legalization of marijuana is going to cause the number of accidents and deaths caused by impaired driving to skyrocket.  

Driving while smoking marijuana leaves a huge area of concern. A study published by JAMA Ophthalmology showed that driving while under the influence of pot greatly impacts visual function as well as reaction time. Remind you of another substance? Although the provincial government has taken precautions to prevent accidents while driving high, including approving the Drager DrugTest 5000 which can test cannabis levels, I can’t help but feel as though the laws allowing weed to be smoked wherever tobacco is allowed may be detracting from the seriousness of driving high by making public smoking of recreational marijuana more socially acceptable.

More research and testing needs to be done before the government should feel confident enough with the decision to legalize marijuana in Canada. Further testing needs to be carried out on how secondhand high impacts children and adults. More specific regulations need to be implemented to ensure the least amount of accidents caused by driving high possible. I believe that the health and safety concerns of legalizing too soon may outweigh the economic benefits of legal marijuana.

With the big day less than a month away, only time will tell if Canada’s legalization of pot will be successful or distressful—my bet rests with the latter.

Photo by Jasmine Foong