O-Train Line 1 in Ottawa
The Ottawa Light Rail Transit Commission released a public inquiry report on O-Train Line 1, criticizing project constructors, senior city staff and former Ottawa mayor Jim Watson for the LRT’s failings. [Photo by Arno Ryser/The Charlatan]

Free transit for the month of December was a short-lived convenience for Ottawa residents. While it was a bonus for riders, it could never make up for the years of ongoing issues with Ottawa’s light rail train (LRT). 

Between Sept. 19 and Nov. 12, 2021, the LRT was shut down following two derailments. The 54-day period created subpar service for commuters; R1 replacement bussing was overcrowded and slow. 

The city’s endeavour to provide free transit for a month cost taxpayers about $7.2 million. To forego such a large sum of money was no doubt generous on behalf of the Ottawa city council, but the money could have been spent on improving the transit system in lieu of a hollow apology. 

I am no stranger to the downfalls of our city’s transit system. I have spent countless hours waiting for delayed buses and now, derailed trains. After years of ongoing issues—why are city officials only apologizing now? 

The city’s choice to provide free transit in December, a time when the majority of the population is taking more time off and not commuting for the holidays, makes the apology seem like a hollow quick fix. 

Temporarily free transit will not make up for the problems with the system as a whole. Reliable transit needs to be provided to Ottawa residents in order to ensure comfortable and safe commuting around the city. 

People walk past O-Train’s Light Rail Train (LRT) Pimisi Station in Jan. 2022 in Ottawa, Ont. The LRT station has drawn heavy criticism from members of the public due to recent line closures and reduction of services. [Photo by Arno Ryser/The Charlatan]
The value of reliable transit is worth more than a single month of free free transit. Studies have shown that travellers are even willing to pay more for transit if it means they can reach their destination reliably and efficiently.

In all other aspects of my life, I would never pay upwards of $100 per month for something that is broken. OC Transpo cannot expect residents to pay that fare every month without the guarantee of working transit, and offer no refund when it does not. 

It is important that residents remain focused on the city’s current transit issues and avoid allowing city council’s weak offerings to bury the fact that the city is not providing riders with effective, safe or comfortable transit. The current transit system in Ottawa is not only disappointing but unfair to citizens. 

City council’s pathetic apology was almost offensive to residents who have spent years putting up with unreliable service. In no way can one month of free transit translate to forgiveness for the transit system’s failures. 

Ottawa residents deserve a transit system that its people can rely on year-round. Until that is implemented, no apology will be accepted by travellers.

Featured image by Arno Ryser.