Pedestrians walk across a nearly deserted University Drive and Raven Road intersection on Feb. 11, 2020. [Photo By: Spencer Colby/Charlatan Newspaper]

In the wake of the Omicron variant, Carleton has implemented stricter regulations in residence for the month of January. 

Housing and Residence Life Services last updated these measures on its website on Jan. 7. Students can now only host one guest in their living space at a time, provided the guest is from the same building. Social spaces, laundry and fitness facilities will be operating at reduced capacities. Residents are able to use the tunnels only to access Residence Commons and get food from a takeout-only cafeteria. For other purposes, they must submit a tunnel access request. 

Director of Housing and Residence Life Services Laura Storey wrote in an email to the Charlatan that these new regulations were created to align with public health guidelines. 

“[We] are committed to ensuring everyone’s health and safety while also working to ensure that our students have the best possible experience in this challenging context,” Storey stated. 

The population of residence has also decreased, according to president of the Rideau River Residence Association (RRRA) Sami Islam. He said only a third of about 1,500 students who were living in residence this fall returned for the winter term.

Jennifer George is a second-year law student who returned to Frontenac House this semester, who said she noticed the biggest change in regulations in the cafeteria. 

“I didn’t know what to expect but they’re really rigorous and thorough with their new rules,” George said. 

Storey said they look forward to lifting these measures when they can. 

“We truly look forward to being able to lift these measures when appropriate to give our students a great residence experience for the remainder of the winter 2022 term,” Storey wrote in her email. 

She explained that for January, they hope to engage students online and in one-on-one activities in the residence community. Islam explained that RRRA’s priority is to welcome students who are new to residence this semester, despite the lack of opportunity for in-person activities. 

“We’re going to have to deal with the same difficulties of trying to build community in an environment where that’s really difficult to do,” he said.  

Until then, George said the restrictions and empty rooms have been straining.

“I’m a really social person, or I try to be, so it’s really weird not having people on the floor back because it’s really quiet,” George said. “It takes more of a toll on your mental health in that you have to keep to yourself and can’t go out and meet people.”

Featured image from file.