The onset of the COVID-19 pandemic has drastically changed the way we live our lives. Some of us, myself included, have hit the three-week mark of our self-quarantines. There is no doubt this has impacted many people’s mental health. 

While we are living through incredibly serious and scary times, there is a silver lining to the pandemic. We are stepping back and cherishing our freedom and privilege. 

For me, this quarantine has been an incredibly humbling and grounding experience. I had forgotten the fact that my ability to go out and see my friends or boyfriend is not something that is always guaranteed. 

My ability to have a home to quarantine in is a privilege. Having food in the house is a privilege. My ability to do school online and stay in contact with those I love is a privilege. 

This moment in our history has completely flipped our way of life on its head and now, more than ever, people are realizing the importance and value of something as simple as going to get lunch with your best friend. 

Some are saying this is the time to find a new hobby, get in shape, or better yourself in some other way. I don’t think that is the case. 

The anxiety and worry some people have over the pandemic can be incredibly debilitating, and no one has an obligation to better themselves in the middle of a pandemic. Take time to yourself and prioritize your mental health and well-being above all else. 

However, now is a good time for us to reflect on and realize what matters most to us, not only as individuals but also a society. What’s most important isn’t having the most expensive things, or the latest makeup products. 

It’s our interaction with others and the connections we make that are most important. 

Think about what matters the most to you now and be grateful for all the privileges you have, both before, during, and after this pandemic. It sucks that I can’t see my boyfriend, but at least I have the means to talk to him everyday and know he’s okay. That’s more than many have and I’m grateful for it. 

I hope when all of this ends, we can appreciate living life more and the moments we have. For university students especially, most of us just go through the motions, and aren’t fully present in our lives. We’re always stressing over an assignment, an exam, or the future. We’re always looking forward to the weekend or the summer.

The one positive thing that this pandemic has brought on for me is a humbling appreciation for the simple things in life which I never thought could be taken away from me. I hope others can also find this silver lining and breathe a little easier. 

Photo by Spencer Colby.