(Photo by Katrine Forget)

It is a case of unfortunate irony when those who are sworn to protect students and staff on campus become the source of unease.

It is understood that the purpose of picketing is to create awareness for a cause through verbal and visual means. However, it is unjustified to make inappropriate comments that leave members of the Carleton community feeling uncomfortable and violated.

Such an event occurred as we crossed the picket line in the first few days of the strike, where instead of being greeted with a simple “good morning,” we were verbally harassed by two male security guards for our personal decision to cross.

“I wouldn’t go into campus if I were you,” they bellowed. “If you do there’s a large chance you will probably be sexually assaulted.”

We gasped at the crude remark but before we were able to comment, another man then yelled out, “Do you feel safe on campus? The school doesn’t care for your safety. Don’t go on to campus. You might get sexually assaulted.”

In response to these comments, we looked to a female picketer for support. She apathetically turned around.

Instead of identifying with the picketers’ pleas, we crossed the picket line onto campus, our sympathy for their cause negatively impacted.

In what way is verbally threatening the prospect of sexual assault to those who you are meant to protect an effective means of garnering support?

Although the picketers have the personal right to carry anger towards the administration as negotiations continue, those remarks were insensitive. Projecting such personal frustration upon any students and staff directly takes away from their cause.

For such comments to come from two men of professional standing and be directed towards young women speaks of a larger issue of disrespect and a culture that allows for such comments to be deemed appropriate.

Bystanders, such as the female security officer, share the responsibility to protect others from these acts. In many cases, most bystanders respond just as that female picketer and simply feign ignorance.

This incident emphasizes the continued presence of rape culture on campus. Additionally, it addresses that sexual violence does not only occur between students. Administration and staff are culpable as well.

Since the event occurred, others have shared with us similar experiences crossing the picket line. This clearly indicates that our experience was not an isolated issue.

These security workers continued to make these statements under the belief that those indirect threats were appropriate.

That contributes to the normalization of sexual violence.

Rape culture—which fosters sexual assault and violence against women—is deeply entrenched in our culture, to the point where it becomes part of daily life. It’s present in how we speak to each other and what is presented in media and pop culture.

This event must be considered within that larger context, and it’s an important discussion to have. Looking at the harassment we faced on the picket line as just a singular incident further encourages an overall passive attitude toward sexual violence.

This is a condition that will endure after the strike has been resolved and the negotiations have been finalized. The safety workers will resume their positions but it does not mean that their presence guarantees a safer campus. It is only a preventative measure.

So to answer the question those picketers asked of us—no, we do not feel safe on campus.