The rise of the internet was supposed to be the dawn of a new era, with access to information that previous generations could only dream about. It was meant to bring people together from across the world and to foster educated and thoughtful debates.

Unfortunately, the idealistic vision I just described couldn’t be farther from today’s reality.

Far too often in an increasingly polarized society, people are ignoring the vast resources at their disposal and are instead cherry-picking questionable evidence to back up their claims.

The abandonment of fact-based research is making it extremely difficult for people to grasp the complexities of issues, or acknowledge that another side to an argument might exist.

Many are intent on decrying the rise of “fake news” as a product of technology, but this is a monster we have created ourselves. One common argument is that due to social media, we have cocooned ourselves in a space where we only see items that mesh with our political, social and economic views. Admittedly, there are algorithms and other technological devices meant to drive people towards content they might deem agreeable, but it is very much within our power to consume news and information from a variety of sources.

Think of it this way, just because someone opens up a fast food joint next door doesn’t mean you always have to eat there. Sure, it might be more convenient, but there are many benefits to taking the extra effort to go buy groceries and maintain a balanced diet.  The same can be said for news consumption. A conscious effort must be made to push past the tempting comfort zone of homogeneous opinion, and reach out.

This can be done in any number of ways—whether it’s following someone on Twitter who holds an opposing view on an issue, or reading a newspaper that leans to the other side of the political spectrum than you do. In seeking out other ideas and beliefs, people might learn something that could change their opinion. Even if they come away with their prior mindset intact, they will have a better understanding of the other side’s point of view.

Having a broader perspective allows you to think critically about a topic. This is another crucial skill that is fading away in the age of the internet, when it is needed more than ever.

For people to be able to understand what constitutes “fake news,” they must allow themselves to be reached by a number of different media. “Fake news” is not simply a story you do not agree with—“fake news” is something that has been purposefully crafted to sway opinions and that uses false and unchecked information or claims.

This is where expansive media consumption and critical thinking go hand in hand. The consumer must be able to verify what they are reading by asking themselves questions, such as: who wrote the piece? Are other media outlets covering it? Where does the author get their information? What sources are used?

These questions are necessary to consider before sharing an article or treating its contents as fact.

As we usher in the technological age, we need to do our part to educate ourselves, widen our views, and remain engaged with fact-based discussions.