(File photo by Layne Davis)

Carleton University is a space that prides itself on its extensive array of inclusive clubs and societies. We’re host to several different student organizations that promote a wide variety of interests and identities. However, something may be missing.

In an examination of the formal student clubs and societies on the Carleton University Students’ Association website, there appears to be very few groups dedicated to environmental awareness or protection.

Environmental projects on campus that do exist, such as the G-Spot and the Graduate Students’ Association’s community garden, which promote sustainability and foster a connection to our local environment and food, don’t seem to be getting the support they need.

On Oct. 21, there was a small demonstration in the University Centre atrium dedicated to providing information about the protestors that were arrested in Rexton, N.B. by the RCMP earlier this month.

The protesters, mostly from the El’sipogtog First Nation community, were taking a stand against the activities of the company SWN Resources Canada.

SWN is a natural gas and oil exploration company located in New Brunswick. SWN is currently conducting seismic testing that protestors claim is poisoning the water of the surrounding area. These seismic tests begin the process of fracking for shale gas in the near future.

According to the information on the website of the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), fracking—scientifically called hydraulic fracturing—is the process of injecting dangerous chemicals mixed with large quantities of water and sand into wells to fracture shale rocks to release natural gas. The NRDC says the process has the potential to contaminate water supplies, add to air pollution, and devastate streams and landscapes.

The protest in New Brunswick inspired several solidarity protests all over Canada, and even outside the Canadian consulate in New York. However, the demonstration at Carleton only saw about 40 people participate, including 10 organizers.

While this is a good start, there needs to be more environmental awareness and activism at Carleton.

Canada’s current environmental track record is less than admirable. There are several economic projects currently operating in Canada that are severely endangering the surrounding environment, not the least of which are the Alberta oil sands.

According to Global News, Alberta has had an average of two crude oil spills every day for the past 37 years. That’s over 28,666 crude oil spills in total, and another 31,453 spills of oil extraction materials, including salt water and liquid petroleum.

The Sarnia area’s Chemical Valley is another environmental perpetrator, often spilling chemical run-off into the adjacent St. Clair River. Over the past two months, there has been an increase of spills into the St. Clair River, including spills of cleaning product and diesel fuel that forced a shutdown of water supplies into nearby communities.

These are just some very rudimentary samples of environmental issues in Canada that need to be brought into light and into the public forum. Additionally, environmental safety and protection is not just Canada’s responsibility, but everyone’s responsibility, from everyday citizens to business and governmental leaders the world over.

People are consuming natural resources at such an alarming rate that according to the UN, “we need 3.5 planet Earths to sustain a global population achieving the current average North American or European lifestyle.”

Water is one of the natural resources that is used most irresponsibly and, as a result, more than 1.8 billion people will live in conditions of absolute water scarcity by 2025, and two-thirds of the world could be living under stressed water conditions.

Perhaps if more students—including Carleton students—join the discussion about Canada’s environmental offences, we can begin to foster a culture of environmental awareness and peaceful activism that we as global citizens so desperately need if we are to keep our planet habitable for future generations.