[Photo by Taylor Brandon via Unsplash]

I didn’t realize just how unsafe I would feel as a Jew until I entered university. The lack of legislation regarding anti-Semitism at Carleton is frightening and must be addressed to ensure the growing trend of anti-Semitic attacks in the global west does not go unchecked on Carleton’s campus.

Carleton’s administrative bodies must implement a policy with tools to recognize the prominence of anti-Semitism on both the political left and political right, so that it does not continue to be brushed off when politically convenient.

For those of you who have been lucky enough not to experience unsolicited hate based on your ethnicity, I’ll let you know it’s alarming. It’s alarming to be called “a rat” for reporting anti-Semitic rhetoric because “it was just a joke.” It’s alarming to watch non-Jewish people debate the definition of anti-Semitism on campus, and alarming to have your parents tell you not to wear any identifiable symbols or be too loud about your identity so that you can remain safe and make friends when you get to campus. 

The consistency of stories like these, among worse, that are woven into the Jewish university experience should be reason for concern.

The heavily Americanized rhetoric that is used to describe what is happening in the Middle East has consequences, and diaspora Jews are paying the price. It is increasingly evident that an overwhelming majority of people do not know the difference between fair criticism of Israel and anti-Semitism, and it is time that line is clearly drawn.

I recognize that criticizing the Israeli government isn’t anti-Semitic. I do it all the time, as do many of my Jewish peers, but there is a proper way to do so that includes nuance and understanding of the country’s history. This includes respecting both Jewish and Palestinian indigineity to the region and an understanding of how Israel was established. Many people whom I have witnessed commenting on the conflict over the past month do not have a proper historical foundation to do so. This includes the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA).

The recent CUSA statement about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict did not include any comment of Israeli and Jewish trauma. This lack of recognition undermines CUSA’s efforts to aid in a peaceful conversation about the conflict by politicizing the suffering of Jewish people and ostracizing Jewish students. I recognize that there are tensions between Jews and Palestinians and certain biases that exist that make conversations difficult. However, one-sided and inaccurate statements are not the answer. 

CUSA didn’t comment on Jewish trauma associated with this event. CUSA missed a clear opportunity to directly validate Jewish students in this time of unrest both in Israel and the diaspora, to the same extent they validated the trauma of Palestinians. 

It is isolating to be part of such a small ethnic group. I no longer feel there is anyone except ourselves to call on for help. Both the political left and right have made it painstakingly clear that Jewish people are not welcome. Jews are either too white or not white enough, too capitalist or too socialist—there appears to be no healthy medium.

If the last few weeks have made anything clear, it is that anti-Semitism is a pervasive problem. Many are ignorant of it and institutions are not doing anything to stop it. Note, this is the third article written for the Charlatan about the creation of a Carleton-specific anti-Semitism policy since 2018 and Carleton still does not have one. 

A comprehensive educational anti-Semitism policy is long overdue at Carleton. It is necessary for CUSA to have a meeting with representatives from the Ottawa Jewish community to learn and ensure that Jewish students are safe on campus in future years, as right now they are not. Although Carleton’s department of Equity and Inclusive Communities (EIC) does have policies and procedures regarding hate speech, there is nothing specific towards anti-Semitism.

Anti-Semitism manifests uniquely in comparison to other forms of hate. It is not only a form of hatred, but a political tool used across the spectrum to leverage a common enemy. In order to attack this form of hatred in all its forms, a working definition of anti-Semitism must be adopted in an updated EIC policy to ensure it does not go unnoticed. I encourage Carleton to implement anti-Semitism training as a distinct element of the EIC programs that Carleton uses to train its staff.

I no longer feel safe as a Jew in Canada, and if changes are not made soon, I’m not sure if I will ever feel safe again.

Featured image by Taylor Brandon via Unsplash.