Name: Nikki Gladstone

Program/Year: Journalism, third year

Position running for: Journalism councillor

1.  Why are you running for CUSA council?

I’m sure I’m not the first to say they are running for council because of CUSA’s actions for the last five months. Many students have been disappointed with the legal dispute that resulted in students’ money and time — our money and time — wasted. I would like to make an active contribution to creating a student association that centres on what’s important: you.

To be honest, my platform is not solely based on the past misdirection of CUSA. I am running because as a journalism student, I have an invested interest in not only our student association, but in the future of our program. Yes, we need to fix the mistakes that have been made this year to avoid using legal action as a remedy for infighting, but we also need to look forward to concrete ideas that will invest your money where you want it to go.

2.  What do you think makes you a good candidate?

I’m personable, approachable, and hard working. I am able to work towards a goal with unmatched enthusiasm and determination. As a student, I’ve been involved on Carleton campus for the entirety of my post-secondary experience. I currently sit on the Carleton Academic Student Government as a journalism representative, I’m a team leader for Alternative Spring Break Guatemala, I’ve been an orientation week facilitator twice, and I’ve been a journalism mentor for the past year.

I know this campus and I’m thoroughly informed on its programs and policies. As a third-year journalism student, I’ve been through the most rigorous aspects of this program, I’ve seen what is has to offer and more importantly, I know what it needs to further enhance your student experience.

3.  What are two things you hope to achieve if elected?

First and foremost, I’d like to address the lack of communication between councillors and students. Before we can implement our ideas and interests, we need a foundation that allows students to express what they want out of their student association. Let’s take advantage of the multiple mediums of communication we have at our disposal. Let’s create an open dialogue because essentially, when you vote for me, you’re voting for you and what you hope to see in your student association.

Second, I will work for more networking opportunities for all years of study in journalism. Let’s take advantage of our greatest mentors: our professors, and get to know those who’ve had hands on experience in the field.

4.  What’s one fun fact about yourself?

I’m a ginger and I have a soul.

Just kidding. A fun fact about myself? I love travelling. One of my life goals? To visit at least three countries on every continent. That being said, I leave for Aldea El Novillero, Guatemala next Friday with 13 other Carleton students to help renovate a school!