Photo by Kyle Fazackerley.

An expansion to the Herzberg Laboratories building was completed right before the start of the fall term.

The vertical addition stands out from the usual brick with a modern black, white, and glass exterior. It’s comprised of three new floors built on top of a pre-existing two-floor structure, or what was formerly known as the INCO wing.

The new expansion is now known only as the Herzberg addition, as INCO Limited, the original mining contributor and namesake of the original wing, has since been purchased and no longer has funding ties to the finished construction project, according to Dr. Malcolm Butler, Carleton’s dean of science.

“It’s been under construction for the last year, was completed in end of July, and the faculty moved in during the month of August,” said Darryl Boyce, Carleton’s vice-president (facilities management and planning).

“The INCO wing was installed as two levels originally and it was designed so three more floors could be added to the section of the building. It was always in the plan, and just a matter of when there would be a need for the space to come online,” he said.

Butler said the continuation of the original plan came as “a combination of need and serendipity, as there were some chronic space issues in science that were being looked at. [The addition] put us in a position to resolve some of these issues.”

The first floor houses the Science Student Success Centre (SSSC), the math tutorial centre, and space for science student societies. The second floor contains space for the environmental science and integrated science programs. Butler said the third new floor is the space, for now, for the department of health sciences.

Anisha Ghelani, SSSC mentor and team leader for the high school outreach team, said the space is fantastic.

“Last year we were in 1152 Herzberg, a tunnel-level room. We had rolling walls, and it wasn’t private at all. But this year, we’ve got doors,” Ghelani said. “There’s a lot of real, natural light coming through the glass wall.”

Butler also said future plans for the addition include building a small bridge from the walkway that goes around Paterson Hall.

“[That] will give students an easy direct outdoor access point to the Science Student Success entrance, as right now the only way to reach the Herzberg addition is through the rest of the Herzberg building,” Butler said.