New Democratic Party (NDP) MP Ève Péclet was at Carleton Sept. 17 to talk about getting youth thinking about the next federal election, as part of her party’s nationwide Youth Caucus Tour.

During the tour, the NDP’s young MPs have been visiting post-secondary institutions across the country.

“It’s going to be a major point in our campaign in 2015,” Péclet said of youth. The NDP currently holds 100 seats in the House of Commons, 55 seats short of forming a majority government.

Last week, Péclet visited the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon and the University of Alberta in Edmonton to hear students’ concerns about the current government.

Péclet is the deputy foreign affairs critic for her party.

The 23-year-old completed her law degree from the Université de Montréal this past May, meaning she’s held office longer than she’s been a university graduate.

From one young person to another, Péclet said the NDP is the best option for young Canadians.

“The NDP is actually the only federal party in Canada that believes a better education can be achieved by lowering tuition fees,” Péclet said.

Part of the NDP’s platform is a proposed $800 million education fund for provincial governments, according to Péclet.

“We’ve been neglecting universities,” she said. “They have no funds, they have too many students in the classrooms.”

Although the Conservatives have given more money to the provinces for education each year, Péclet said the number has never compared with the amount given under Paul Martin’s tenure as the Liberal finance minister back in 1995.

As for foreign affairs, Péclet said the Harper government has neglected that too.

“Foreign affairs have just been evacuated from our international policy,” she said.

She said she blames the Harper government’s fixation on trade. Péclet said the Conservatives use a fear tactic in the House of Commons.

“I always feel intimidated because the Conservatives are bullies,” she said. “Every time I stand up in the House people are like, ‘Shut up, sit down, you don’t know what you’re talking about, fuck you socialist.’”

One particular dramatic exchange between Péclet and the Conservatives in which Péclet yells about her right to freedom of expression racked up over 70,0000 hits on YouTube.

“It’s because I’m young, it’s because I’m a woman, it’s because I’m an NDP. For them that’s like the worst three things that could happen,” she said.

The reason Péclet said she continues to talk is because she believes her party’s long-term vision has every young Canadian’s best interests in mind.

This means having a plan for students in their post post-secondary life as well.

“Yes education…but also environment, jobs, household debts. I already said environment but I’m going to say it again because it’s the most important,“ Péclet said.