So, you’ve picked up your U-Pass (from Porter Hall on the second floor of the University Centre, but you know that). Think of all the places you’ll go. The things you’ll see.

4 Hurdman

The 4 Hurdman will take you northeast for about 15 minutes until you hit the final stop, Hurdman Station. At Hurdman Station, you can catch a number of buses that go to the VIA Rail Station. There, you can also catch the 8 Gatineau to go to every 18-year-old’s favourite legal drinking spot. The 4 Hurdman also stops at Billings Bridge mall. Billings Bridge has a food court, an LCBO, and various other stores.

4 Downtown

The 4 Downtown goes exactly where you would think: downtown. The trip can take anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour depending on traffic levels. From the last stop at the Rideau Centre, you can access many of Ottawa’s attractions. The Rideau Centre itself is a three-storey mall with significantly more options than Billings Bridge.

Right across the street from this mall you will find Byward Market. Known for a great nightlife and quirky vendors during the day, Byward does not disappoint. In the area you will also find the National Art Gallery and of course, the Parliament buildings. If you really want to see the tourist spots, just take the 4 Downtown, get off at the Rideau Centre and walk around.

7 St. Laurent

The 7 St.Laurent also goes to the Rideau Centre before hitting its final stop, the St. Laurent Centre. This mall provides some variety and a je-ne-sais-quoi, if you’re tired of the Rideau Centre.

Where the 4 Downtown takes Bronson Avenue, the 7 St. Laurent takes Bank Street. This is a major street in Ottawa with quite a lot of stores, restaurants and cafes on it, including the Glebe district. The Glebe is a beautiful hipster haven that continues from the Rideau Canal to Highway 417.

111 Baseline

The 111 Baseline takes about 45 minutes to go to Baseline Station, right by Algonquin College. Along the route, it also stops at Billings Bridge.

The O-Train

Carleton is smack dab in the middle of the O-Train route. It can take you either north to Bayview or south to Greenboro, so pay attention to which side of the platform you need to be on. It’s less than 10 minutes to get to Greenboro. This station is connected to South Keys Shopping Centre. South Keys has a Bulk Barn, a Loblaws, a Winners, a Future Shop, and a Walmart. It’s probably the easiest place to do your grocery shopping if you’re living in residence.