Caresse Ley gives her list of top ten activities students should do before graduating.

1. Join a club – One of the top recommendations for must-dos before graduation is to join a club. There are over 100 clubs and societies on campus, each catering to unique interests. Joining a club is one of the best ways to meet new people. If you cannot find a club to join, start your own! You’ll feel good knowing you’re contributing to the Carleton community.

1. See The Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Mayfair – Every few months, the Mayfair Theatre shows the 1975 classic film The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Not only is the movie a must-see, but attendees are invited to blow bubbles during the show, filling the theatre with excitement and creating an unparalleled movie-going experience. Better yet, the theatre is close to campus, located at Bank and Sunnyside.

1. Be a frosh facilitator – Being a “facil” is truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Working between 14 and 18 hours per day, you’ll never complain about being tired for the rest of the year. Plus, you get to wear an outrageous jersey all week and no one thinks it’s weird that you haven’t washed it. You’ll also get to attend the frosh concert and other cool frosh events. Best of all, you will be helping new Ravens make their transition to being a part of the best campus community here at Carleton!

1. Visit Hull’s nightclubs – You have to go at least once. The grimy floors, irregularly-priced drinks, and general smell of vomit will ensure you probably never go back. Still, it is an experience worth having because after all, what happens in Hull, stays in Hull.

1. Finish an assignment early – By graduation, everyone is far too familiar with pulling all-nighters to finish a paper and cramming for exams. But very few of us are accustomed to finishing assignments ahead of the deadline. While it may seem silly and impossible, it is worth doing. You’ll feel great about yourself when it’s done and while everyone else is stressing out, you’ll be at Oliver’s enjoying Thirsty Thursdays.

1. Attend Capital Hoops – The annual basketball game between Carleton and the University of Ottawa is a must-see event. It’s a showdown of rival teams the Carleton Ravens and the Ottawa Gee-Gee’s, where the best team emerges with bragging rights for the following year. Even if you’re not a basketball fan, the school spirit Carleton shows makes it worth going! Don’t miss the chance to cheer for Carleton and watch our players dominate Ottawa U!

1. Join an intramural team – If you love playing sports but are not interested in playing varsity, then consider joining an intramural team. There are same-sex and co-ed teams available to join and a variety of sports offered. Intramurals are another great way to get involved, make friends, relieve stress, and stay fit. More information can be found on the Carleton Athletics website.

1. Skate on the Rideau Canal – One of Ottawa’s most famous attractions is the Rideau Canal. Grab your friends and skate along the canal for a winter experience unique to Ottawa. If you do not own skates you can rent a pair at spots along the canal. Also, be sure to stop for a BeaverTail and warm up with a hot chocolate. This is truly one of the best ways to experience Ottawa!

1. Climb to the top of Dunton Tower – No, we do not mean take the elevator to the top floor. There is, in fact, a staircase leading all the way to the top of this 23-floor monstrous building. If it seems too daunting to do on your own, you can join the annual Dunton Tower Challenge event in the spring. Registration is free and information about the next event should be available in second semester. This is a fun experience to do with friends or on your own and it gives you bragging rights around campus!

1. Donate something to the Food Centre – As students, we all have financial hardships to face and it is important that we support each other. The next time you are at the grocery store, consider buying an extra can of soup or some extra cereal and donating it to the Food Centre on campus. The Centre acts like a food bank and is open to all students who are a little low on grocery money. One small donation could mean helping another student stay on their feet and donating is a great way to feel connected to Carleton’s campus. You never know when you might be the one in need!