Arnold the raccoon hides behind a bush near Residence Commons. [Photo provided by Sena Aydoner.]

This year in residence is unlike any other. Residence capacity is down to 30 per cent and students are subject to a number of restrictions, including a limit of one physically-distanced guest in their room at a time.

This year has also gifted those in residence a mascot unlike any other: Arnold the raccoon.

Arnold, who is usually spotted around Dundas and Stormont houses, has brought students in residence “happiness on our darkest days,” according to a petition calling for the university to not remove Arnold from Carleton property.

“Think of it as if someone took your kids from you [or] they took your vape or something,” the petition, which has nearly 600 signatures, reads. “We cannot sit back and allow Carleton to take our mascot away from us like that.”

“Arnold is not only a friend to us, he is our family,” the petition says. “Together we must stand strong in order to save our man, Arnold.”

Laura Storey, director of Housing and Residence Life Services, said in an email to the Charlatan that the university plans on moving the raccoon to its natural environment, citing health concerns about raccoon feces and the possibility of unexpected aggression.

“I was unaware that Arnold existed and cannot speak to the feelings of others on campus,” Storey said in response to a question on why students have connected with the raccoon.

Some students said they have fallen in love with Arnold.

Sena Aydoner, a third-year public affairs and policy management student living in residence, said that Arnold has strengthened community connection on campus.

“We’re all kind of lonely and by ourselves on residence, so this cute little animal that everyone’s seeing was kind of this fun thing,” she said.

Aydoner said that raccoons were already her favourite animal and she signed the petition when her friend sent it to her group chat.

“He’s also the chunkiest raccoon I’ve ever seen, so that makes him lovable,” residence student Tess Morasse said in an email.

Morasse said that her residence fellows love raccoons, so her floor adopted Arnold as their mascot.

“Because he’s not really hurting anything by being here, he should be allowed to stay,” Morasse said.

For now, Arnold can be seen lurking in the bushes and garbage cans around Residence Commons, capturing the hearts of students in an unprecedented year.