In a time of social distancing and uncertainty, musicians are creatively working to provide fans with more ways than ever to access their content.

In response to concert cancellations and their inability to play live, musicians are now live streaming their work on platforms such as Instagram and Facebook Live.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has created an online concert series in collaboration with anti-poverty organization Global Citizen. The “Together at Home” concert series was created in an attempt to raise awareness of the virus and funds for the WHO’s COVID-19 Response Fund. 

The fund has raised nearly $200 million.

With performances from A-list musicians such as Niall Horan, John Legend, Charlie Puth, Chris Martin (of Coldplay), Camilla Cabello and Shawn Mendes, Hozier, and OneRepublic, the concert series has quickly gained traction, with hundreds of thousands of viewers worldwide.

“We are doing this to spread awareness and raise funds for the WHO … so that they have the funds that they need to tackle this pandemic, and to tackle this grand crisis. For this pandemic and for pandemics to come,” said Irish singer-songwriter Hozier at the beginning of his live stream.

American musician John Legend mentioned the live streams are intended to raise morale amongst those in self-quarantine.

“Social distancing is important, but that doesn’t mean it has to be boring,” said Legend in a YouTube post about his March 18 live stream.

In Canada, the National Arts Council is offering Canadian musicians, dancers, and comedians the opportunity to support themselves economically through live streaming. The Council is offering artists $1,000 for 45-60 minute-long performances, in a campaign known as #CanadaPerforms.

These live streams feature artists from across the country, such as Serena Ryder and Jenn Grant, and are scheduled from March 18-31.

In a Facebook comment on Winnipeg-based folk singer William Prince’s NAC live stream, viewer Jennifer Jackson said watching Prince’s performance “was the most peaceful and full of gratitude that I have felt in weeks.”

Other creators are attempting to build a sense of community online independent of backing from large organizations. Musicians and actors such as Lin-Manuel Miranda, Ben Platt, Keith Urban, Passenger, and Yo-Yo Ma are making up for cancelled shows with live streams. 

Despite the global pandemic, these musicians and many others are focusing on supporting community and maintaining hope through live streams.

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.