RE: CUSA’s free speech ranking rises to an A, Nov. 5-11.

The Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) recently received an A grade for its protection of free speech on campus. In light of the high grade, the Graduate Students’ Association (GSA) president Michael Bueckert accused CUSA of not doing enough to create “safe spaces” on campus.

To the contrary, it is CUSA’s responsibility to provide a forum for free speech on campus. CUSA and the university do not exist to protect students’ feelings, and hurt feelings cannot be used to justify censorship.

CUSA has the impossible task of defending free speech and simultaneously not allowing any speech that infringes on safe space. Students must learn independently to express themselves without making others feel unsafe, but at the same time to listen respectfully to the opinions of others. Suppression of “undesirable” opinions is routinely applied in oppressive organizations, governments, and societies.

A university needs to be a bastion for open discussions that are free of censorship. That doesn’t mean advocating for abusive dialogue, but for more personal responsibility and an end to the perception that offence causes lasting harm.

Getting a good education means learning about subjects that you may disagree with and interacting with individuals who have different opinions that may be offensive to you. It is impossible to eliminate all subjects that are offensive and still continue any kind of meaningful discussion.

Many safe space policies do not allow for conversations on campus about difficult or controversial subjects such as race relations, religion, or gender issues.

But true progress is made by debating controversial topics, not by silencing ideas that may be hurtful or offensive. What is deemed offensive will change over time. Equal rights for women and civil rights were once considered offensive opinions. Free speech must be protected to ensure constructive debate and the free exchange of ideas on campus without fear of censorship.

Progress and education are based on free speech and open discussion of all opinions. It is the responsibility of an individual to be resilient, compassionate, and conscientious of others around them.

No one is guaranteed a life free of controversy and offensive opinions. Safe space cannot be allowed to control the free exchange of ideas, no matter how controversial they may be.