As the school year winds down, I’ve reflected on my decision to join a church group on campus—Campus Rush. I have been pleasantly surprised, and found groups such as Campus Rush are unfairly stereotyped. 

I have experienced community and acceptance from people who barely knew who I was or what I about. I already had a group of friends outside this group, so it wasn’t from lack of friends that I enjoyed the company of the group. There was a unique genuine feeling in the smiles they gave, the time people took to talk and shared course horror stories. I have had people share my journey through school and my curiosity to figure out what I’m about. Most importantly, I have been able to experience what it’s like to be interested in the welfare of others. There’s something about a group of people caring about each other that makes you want to share that with as many people as you can. It’s warm and exciting at the same time. There’s nothing quite like it, really—perhaps vanilla ice cream on a warm cookie in a hot skillet, but I digress. 

Through Campus Rush, I have experienced sub genres of music within the gospel genre. Unknown to me, it’s a phenomenon on its own, containing different types of rap, jazz, rhythm, and blues. It even has its own classics. Just like every culture, there was a similar generational divide, with the older generation sticking to what they would classify as the “real” thing, and the younger clinging to the more radical genres of music.

The Christian culture has its own traditions—oral (pastors and poets), and written (the Bible). There’s a unique way of relating to each other and above all, a common goal, for everyone to have their own personal relationship with God and not an inherited version of him. It even had its own turn-up parties, with incredible music that leaves you shuffling your feet.

Church is really not that bad. When the word “church” is brought up, we immediately think of a large gothic building with jagged edges and sculptures, stained glass windows, paintings of immortal figures and crystal chandeliers, a pastor who is seen as holier than the congregation and the few who sit at the front pew judging everyone that comes in late. We imagine threats of punishment from God for wickedness or a system that is heavily patriarchal leaving no room for the voice of women to be heard.

But Christianity is a culture that cultivates the minds of people—both men and women alike—and it endorses the idea of a community and accountability to members of the group. It goes beyond doing good and bad—it leans heavily towards loving others and being loved. It is a support system filled with like-minded people endorsing the “come as you are” idea, a space free from judgement. This is the essence of church groups on campus. It is more than a religion that mandates its subscribers to live in a certain manner and abstain from vulgar speak.

The myth surrounding Christianity and church needs to be debunked. There needs to be a shift in the mindset of the world at large that describes this concept as the forceful infusing of dogma into a generation, to the building of a community which stays welcoming people from every part of society, including those who have been marginalized. So when next you see a church group anywhere on campus, stop by and investigate for yourself.