I think the core goal for a society is to achieve functionality—efficiency. Are systems set up in a way that the most qualified get the most important jobs, and is everything working? That is my first and only priority in civilization, because everything follows from there. So, when I see that Dalhousie University has made the decision to restrict the hiring of a new vice-provost to “racially visible” candidates, my head starts aching and I wonder how things have gotten to this point.          

Here’s the simple truth of the matter that we all have to deal with in Canada: in Canada, most of the population is white, similarly to how in China most of the population is the ethnic group of Han Chinese. If we look at 2016 census data from Statistics Canada, Canada is 73 per cent white as a country.

What that means is, just like most of the people in China in high-up positions of power are Han Chinese, most of the people in Canada in high positions are going to be—shock and horror—white. That’s why most who are politicians, on TV or in academia in Canada are white, even if you might not realize that from living in a multicultural city like Toronto, Vancouver or Ottawa. In a country where most people are Caucasian, that’s what is normal.

When you are restricting most of the population of a country from a job, how would you expect to hire the most qualified person? How exactly are we at the point where we’re now again discriminating against people based on skin colour, except this time it’s white people? I’m sure many right now are thinking of arguments as to why racial discrimination is fine when you direct it at the people on the top of the intersectional pyramid of power and privilege.

Well, I’ll take the unpopular position and say discrimination based on race is wrong. If you support or are okay with what Dalhousie is doing, your actual position is “discrimination based on race is okay.” Consider the precedent it sets—what it means for society in the far future, and not just tomorrow, that this is allowed.

And this exclusive hiring process is not unique to Dalhousie—there is currently a lawsuit against YouTube for their alleged discriminatory practices in trying to hire fewer whites or Asians. There’s a litany of such accusations going around these days leveled at many corporations and institutions throughout the U.S. and Canada, and it seems to be a direction we are heading in. As someone who cares if things are working the best way that they can, this is so counterproductive and pointless.           

What exactly does Dalhousie have to gain from restricting whites from becoming vice-provost (student affairs)? Materially speaking, nothing, but they have a lot of applicants that are not going to be considered because they are white, and for no other reason.       

The last thing I will take issue with is the notion of ‘racially visible’ people. ‘Racially visible’ is a meaningless term. Believe it or not—Caucasians are ‘racially visible’ too. You can actually see us—we’re not transparent. The notion of ‘racial visibility’ is entirely dependent on where on the planet you are—there are plenty of places that are majority not-white. For example, if you’re white in South Africa, the government might be on the brink of confiscating your land because of the colour of your skin.

I imagine, that many of you opposing me will happily cheer on the Dalhousie University development as a victory for diversity. Until it’s you. Until you don’t get that job because of the colour of your skin.

Then, I imagine you’ll change your mind.