RE: Carleton needs to increase alternative food options, Nov. 4-11. 

I thank the editorial board of the Charlatan for addressing the absolute necessity of accommodating medically-required special diets for students. However, the criticisms of Carleton University Dining Services inherent within your editorial are, I feel, rather unfair.

In my personal experience, as a full-time graduate student at Carleton, Dining Services have gone above and beyond to accommodate my need for a strict, gluten-free diet.

I am a sufferer of celiac disease, an autoimmune disorder whereby the body is damaged by the presence of gluten, a protein found in wheat, rye, and barley.

My diet is not a choice but a medical requirement.

I am quite thankful to Dining Services for providing the Gluten-Free Pantry, and for controlling access to it so that those with celiac disease are able to be assured of safety and no cross-contamination in their meals. This location also offer gluten-free pizza, which staff can prepare back in the kitchen, away from gluten-containing pizza, minimizing the risk of cross-contamination.

Residence Commons also has a “celiac station” where I can get gluten-free stir-fry, many of the vegan options are gluten free, and there are always gluten-free desserts available as well.

Yes, there is room for improvement—for example, the Tim Hortons locations should have the certified gluten-free macaroons that all off-campus outlets offer—but I nevertheless commend Carleton for demonstrating its commitment to providing safe (and affordable) food for students with celiac disease. Other campuses can most certainly learn from its example.