With just under one month remaining until Carleton’s annual Orientation week, coordinators announced the headlining act for this year’s frosh concert.

Internationally-renowned Somali-Canadian rap sensation K’Naan will perform for the incoming students Sept. 4 at Carleton, following the annual beach day activities, Orientation coordinators Charlie Neilsen and Grace Valentine confirmed via Twitter Aug 3.

K’Naan joins the likes of other notable Canadian music acts to headline past Carleton frosh week concerts, such as Tokyo Police Club, K-os, and Bedouin Soundclash. An opening act has yet to be announced.

K’Naan first gained notoriety performing spoken word poetry at United Nations events, and at various music festivals around Canada. It was here Canada where he began working with notable production duo Brian West and Jarvis Church, two notable figures in Canada’s hip-hop scene.

K’Naan released his debut album The Dusty Foot Philosopher, in 2005, which was well-received by critics. It was subsequently nominated for the 2006 Polaris Music Prize, while capturing the Juno Award for Rap Recording of the Year. His sophomore effort, Troubadour, garnered him much more attention within Canada and around the world, spawning several successful singles. The song “Wavin’ Flag” became an international hit and was chosen as the official song of the 2010 FIFA World Cup soccer tournament.

K’Naan will also release a new album titled Country, God, or the Girl later this year.