Criticism has skyrocketed in the past few weeks at York University because of three sexual assaults occurring on York University’s campus between July 5-6 according to a Toronto Police Service news release.

Students were not notified by university officials until the following Monday July 9, when a mass email was sent out outlining the events, according to the Toronto Star.

These assaults have students questing their safety and the response of campus officials, according to the Toronto Star.

“We take these assaults, which involved unwanted touching, very seriously. The victims have been offered counselling, University spokeswoman Janice Walls told the Star. A forum was organized to discuss gender violence issues at York University.

“It is, quite frankly, insulting. It’s not enough. It doesn’t make any sense,” Lauren Pragg, one of the student organizers of the forum said told the Star about York’s responses to the assaults.

Not every student feels unsafe and unhappy with campus officials, however. “I always feel safe at York. I don’t live in residence but because I’m a theatre major I spend a lot of late nights there and I always feel comfortable waiting at the bus stop alone,” second-year student Tinée Campbell said.

Campbell said they could have better lighting at the outer areas of the university and have security posted at certain areas instead of just walking around the school at night.

Toronto police say they have heard from five women since an investigation into the recent sexual assaults have been launched, according to CBC News.

“Overall, I think York is a really safe school. The real problem is the area. We’re just a good school in a bad neighbourhood,” Campbell said.

Oshane Leach, 20, the accused suspect, is being charged with three count of sexual assault, two counts of criminal harassment, and two counts of assault, according to the news release.