THE chooses UofVic first in Canada and 11th in the world (Provided photo)

The University of Victoria has been ranked first in Canada and 11th in the world by the Times Higher Education’s (THE) 100 best universities under 50 list, according to the publication.

The list ranks 100 universities that are less than 50 years and published on THE.

When the rankings were released in May, it did not originally include UVic due to its predecessor being founded in 1903. The list was modified because the institution was given independent university status in 1963, according to THE.

The inaugural list uses 13 factors to determine the 100 Under 50 rankings, including research, citations, teaching, international outlook, and industry income, according to the THE website.

These factors are identical to THE’s World University Rankings, except for reduced weighting on subjective indicators of academic reputation, according to a press release.

“Getting recognition for UVic’s international excellence is a testament to our commitment to outstanding scholarship and inspired teaching,” said UVic vice-president research Howard Bruntt in a university press release.

“This is a great way to head into our 50th anniversary year,” Brunt said.

Other Canadian universities that made the list include the University of Calgary (28), Simon Fraser University (30), the University of Guelph (50), and Concordia University (91).